headshot347

Oct 14, 2006
ok i know this is going to sound like an oxymoron, but is there any way,technique to crashing "safely"? It sounds kinda stupid because when ever you crash its over just like that and half the time i don't know what went wrong or how it happen. Just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas or suggestions. (i've probably killed my mom 3 1/2 times over)

Motoracer13

Dec 31, 2006
try to pull your arms in and roll with momentum. dont try to catch yourself with your hands out.
nothing can stop a bad crash but there is an art to falling. thats why stuntmen can do alot without getting hurt.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
If you're going head first, screw not putting your arms out. I'm going to do everything I can to keep myself from landing on my head.

Matt 193

Dec 22, 2006
I crash a lot but have not yet had more then bad bruises the main technique is tuck and roll but boots helmet chestprotector gloves elbow pads knee/shinpads and every other pad avible will be your best defense

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Yep tuck and roll :cool: If you feel you're going to crash, try to push the bike as far from you as possible and also try to visualise your landing. I've been through lots of sports and crashing in MX is where it hurts the most. Don't ride over your head and if you hesitate, twist the throttle.

KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
Congrats men.... Uncle Sam spent a lot of money teaching me to tuck and roll, appears all he had to do was get me a KX250 and an account with DRN.

No kidding... forward, backward, or sideways when it becomes second nature you will flow with the ground. Keeping the elbows and arms in with knees together will help you roll opposed to abrupt stop.

Better, yet... keep your eye's closed and you won't replay the event as often.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
Yeah get away from the bike it doesn't feel good landing on the foot peg.

agressive1

Jan 23, 2007
Hey

I went flying over the handle bars recently and all i could say is,

Jump away from the bike
Roll dont try to stop yourself (this will exorb the landing)

And then straight away go and check the bike. HAHAHAHA

Cory326

Feb 3, 2007
Also, try not to fall with your hands open, Try to fall with them in a fist. This will keep your fingers from getting cuaght up in the chain/sprocket and getting them shredded. This comes in handy, pardon the pun, in a first turn pile up. I've seen first hand(yet another pun, forgive me) what this looks like after a hand meets spinning steel, and it aint purty.

hunt4steve

fat guy on a bike....
Feb 5, 2007
tnrider said:
I find that blacking out somewhere just before impact works well too.

:rotfl:

You should definitly get away from the bike. I knew I was going to crash, but held onto the handlebars and was doing the superman thing. I had an open face helmet (I know, stupid) and nearly knocked out all my bottom teeth when I hit the handle bar. Bruised up my knees, tore up my hand as the bike was dragging me through the dirt, twisted the front forks, chain came off, its was pretty ugly. :bang:

If I wreck now, I try and put some distance between me and the bike, and do the tuck and roll deal.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Everyone keeps talking about getting away from the bike. Personally, I try to stay with the bike until it is definitely not possible to recover. I have somehow managed to recover from some situations where I have seen many people eject. Pretty much the only time I give up and try to get away from the bike is when I'm pretty sure it is going to drive me further into the ground (obvious endo). Otherwise, I usually take my chances and let the suspension absorb what it can for me.

Once separated from the bike, though, I roll very well. I think it has something to do with my round shape. :whoa:

RMZRyder

Dec 1, 2006
High Lord Gomer said:
Everyone keeps talking about getting away from the bike. Personally, I try to stay with the bike until it is definitely not possible to recover. I have somehow managed to recover from some situations where I have seen many people eject. Pretty much the only time I give up and try to get away from the bike is when I'm pretty sure it is going to drive me further into the ground (obvious endo). Otherwise, I usually take my chances and let the suspension absorb what it can for me.

Once separated from the bike, though, I roll very well. I think it has something to do with my round shape. :whoa:
I agree with you High Lord, I stay on til I cant any longer, or major endo.

headshot347

Oct 14, 2006
:laugh:
High Lord Gomer said:

suprisingly i do the same thing. i hold on untill i know i'm gonna crash. except for that time when i was about to crash into that wall. i sure let go that time :laugh:

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
High Lord Gomer said:

I totally agree. Staying with the bike as long as possible allows you to direct your fall. (Which is a good thing) As far as tucking your arms in to prevent injury, whatever floats your boat. I like to protect my head, etc! (Sort of important to me) So, use your arms to direct your falls, and as shocks for obsorbing your falls. You'll be riding a lot longer in life. :nod:

fisco

Mar 23, 2007
I have often thought about the correct technique.

Never once has it entered my mind while flying through the air, with rocks approaching.

Always pictured both my high flying trapeez acts as me doing a half cart wheel through the air..?

Always a horrible feeling... but never more than a slight concussion attributed to a :uh: helmet.

hunt4steve

fat guy on a bike....
Feb 5, 2007
Recently I have honed my skills on "falling-off". My 1st one, was pretty solid, I bounced off the ground a bit. The next few were slides and wash outs where I just went down with the bike. Thank God for knee pads, elbow pads and some shoulder protection. The 1st time I wore my brand new roost protector, I put some deep scratches in the left shoulder. Better the protector than my shoulder. So, I'm getting better at crashing, er... falling-off, in style.

Top Bottom