krosser

Apr 7, 2003
I noticed some of the works guys use a 14T and hi 50s rear. I know the reasons they use them are to do with torque affecting suspension and stuff i would never notice. The reason i tried it was to reduce the noise the chain slapping makes and it helps. My query is how big a sprocket can you run with the stock guide? Is there an alternative to the stock guide. I have a 50 i'm trying but need a 52 to match original gearing and many people run one tooth bigger than that anyway. I'm sure i saw 54 or more on the SX bikes. Thx

Just tried a search and some of the questions are answered but i still would like to know if those who tried it or run it use the stock guide. Just seems it would be tight.

Last edited:

bro

Mar 21, 2002
I recently picked up a used 05 CRF250 and it came with a 53 tooth sprocket on the back. I noticed the chain had been rubbing on the guard and was starting to wear through the aluminum. I think I saw an aftermarket guard somewhere that was bigger and allowed for larger sprockets. 52 is probably the limit for the stock guard.

Keep in mind my bike is a 250, I'm not sure if the 450's are the same or not?

krosser

Apr 7, 2003
That's the type of feedback i was after, someone that had experience with trying . I thought it looked tight but figured if people were running 52 or more then they may have the solution. Thnx

Top Bottom