westred

Apr 10, 2007
Hey all. a couple of quick and easy questions for those in the know - thx for your patience with the newbie :)

decreasing the number of teeth on the front sprocket will lower my gear ratio - yes?

i'm currently running a 13/51 stock set up on the bike and i'm just looking to do some experimenting. parts are quite cheap compared to a rear sprocket.

would i still be able to use the same chain with this change?

any info greatly appreciated. thx.

originaldirt

Apr 25, 2000
Hi,

Yes you can do the smaller cs sprocket to get lower gearing with 2 caveats.
1) Sprockets smaller than 12t have significant chain "turnover" problems (too small of a circle) that result in accelerated chain and sprocket wear and a propensity for the chain to ride off of the small sprocket.
2) Finding smaller sprockets for some applications can be tough. I checked the JT sprockets website and they show smaller sprockets in 10t and 12t for your bike.

You should be able to use your stock chain, although you will have to adjust the wheel backwards more for each smaller sprocket.
OriginalDirt

westred

Apr 10, 2007
vintage service and owners manuals are on the way thx to ****! in the meantime i just noticed that i have a little play in my front cs sprocket...is this normal?

originaldirt

Apr 25, 2000
Yes, there is always some wiggle wobble, even new. The older the sporcket gets , the older the shaft gets, more wiggle wobble happens.
Originaldirt

Top Bottom