zorlac_147

~SPONSOR~
Jan 31, 2001
I have got about 8 to 10 hours on my new CRF 450 I am on the 3rd oil change (in the top end), I have been using the regular petroleum based Torco 10-40 4 stroke engine oil for proper break in. I am now ready to go to a synthetic oil. What have others here tried? I am considering the Castrol Actevo 10-40 (I think that is what its called) or the Red Line 10-40 sythetic. I have heard that the sythetics are better for lubrication and cooling. How often should the engine oil be changed with the sythetic? and is it best to change the oil filter after every change? This is my first 4 stroke so I want to do the right thing. I am just not quite sure what the right "thing" is yet. thanks for any help you can be.

Last edited:

BBD

Apr 10, 2002
Get a factory shop manuel for your bike. This will help you do the right thing and keep the bike as it should be. Lorocco runs Amsoil synth oil in his eng. It is very slick. trans oil is Amsoil but not the same as the eng oil. Synth oil will let your eng run cooler and can last longer, but you still have to change it according to how you use or abuse the bike. The manuel will help in this regard.

blackwolf001

Jul 22, 2002
I'm running Castrol R4 Superbike in it and it works great , no smoke ,good acceleration , nice jetting,spark nice...
I change oil and filter every 3 hours and no problem the oil is still red , i know it's a bit more expensive than the Castrol that you want to use but it's better oil.
I put the same in the granny and no problem of gearing it's very smooth .

spktm2

Jul 23, 2002
i just switched to mobil one in the engine side only i n my 02 , it seems to make the engine sounds a touch more quiet imo

spktm
mesa az

jaliveto

Apr 5, 2002
I was running the Honda HP synthetic oil at first in the engine side only. It worked great and didn't break down as much as the Honda Gn4 (non-synthtic) that I run now. I change every three rides or after any real hard ride(like a hare scramble). Don't run synthetic in the transmission side as it is to slick.

zorlac_147

~SPONSOR~
Jan 31, 2001
I bought a quart of Red Line 10-40 pure synthetic today. I will try and let you guys know what I think.

Top Bottom