CRF in the Woods

APK

Mar 3, 2003
I'm looking for a new bike to race in harescrambles. I weight about 190 and I'm trying to avoid having to do any suspension work. I've heard the 2003 CRF works great bone stock. Any thoughts?

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
I go about 200lbs right now...ouch...anyways, I rode a stock 2003 CRF450 the other weekend in the woods and would say it is pretty darn good (although these were pretty nice trails, not too many rocks or roots). Not perfect maybe, but better than many other "stock" MXers. As conditions get nastier, a true woods bike like a KTM or GasGas would likely be better, but nothing that you couldn't ride through.

Rider 007

Feb 10, 2000
APK,
If you want to stay in the US, check out Abernathy's (they're a DRN sponsor) as they have them listed on their website at $5350.
I have an 03 CRF that I'm in the process of setting up for woods. I haven't really finished breaking it in yet, but depending on what type of woods you're planning on riding, I'd have to say it will need mods to get the best performance. Face it, it was designed for motocross.
The first time I rode mine was in a field and it felt almost nervous and twitchy. I was afraid it would ricochet off everything in the woods and put me on my head. The next time I got to ride it, I had installed a GPR damper. It was firm but controlled in the woods (I weigh 165). After about 1/2 hour I realized that it wasn't deflecting off everything. It was my first experience with a steering damper and I was impressed!
The bike will still need the usual armor on it and accessories for off-road. I've been waiting over 2 months on a TrailTech FWW and got an email today saying it would be at least another month-and-a-half.
I like the slim, flat layout, strong, tractable engine and crisp handling and light weight for an open 4-stroke. I'll mold it into what I want, but I knew that it wouldn't be perfect for this right out of the crate.

Hope it helps

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…