CRF250R or CRF250X (I am looking at the R)

Blazeiscool11

Mar 11, 2007
So I am 12 years old and when I get my first bike I'll probably be 13 (birthday in july), I am 5'7" and around 160-170 pounds. Most of my height is in my legs (a little more than half) so I think I would be able to fit a CRF250R/X. I will probably be riding on trails, on tracks if theres any near me, dirt roads, little open places in the woods that are usually hilly, bumpy and would probably have jumps, places where theres lots of dirt and jumps/hills. Basically I have two questions:
1. Is this bike a good choice for me, I want to have it serve a multi-purpose of all types of mx/trail riding (discluding road riding cause i hate the lights and stuff lol) and I want it to be a good size for all this
2. How much can I get a used '06 CRF250R/X in very good condition for?

Heres the form that I filled out in a different topic
"
I'm almost 13 and looking for my first bike =)
(something that would last me for a few years and even if I grow a lot will still be good 'til I buy a new one)
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5'7'' and 150-170 not sure =P
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
I am pretty strong/aggressive...
3) Where do you plan to ride?
Trails, fields, tracks, basically anything the bike that I choose can handle
4) Do you have any riding experience?
absolutely none
5) Do you think you will race ?
nope, maybe when I have some more experience I will get a 4 stroke racer
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
me and my dad could keep it healthy and fix minor things, major things would need professional work
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
4 stroke and I dont really care what brand as long as its reliable
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
They have lots of stuff, if they dont have something I'll find it at a different place, so basically anything that can be found in michigan
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
probably $3k-$4k
10) Do you live in California?
nope, south michigan
11) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
Speed, traction, reliability, good suspension for jumping, bumps and whatnot, basically an all around good bike.
"
Thanks for the help :ride: :cool:

Blazeiscool11

Mar 11, 2007
I would rather choose the CRF250R because I dont want to outgrow a CRF230F, I may not outgrow it but it will feel small and I might get good enough for a bigger one soon, so I just figured I want to save money and get a good one right away

slater

Dec 30, 2006
:ohmy: Are you crazy?
you will kill yourself
the X and R and both good bikes
but seriously look for somthing smaller ? :whoa:

Blazeiscool11

Mar 11, 2007
Nah i wouldnt kill my self lol
As in jumping I mean starting on stuff 1 foot tall
and I would just rather buy a bigger bike at the beginning cause I dont want to try to have to sell as CRF230F when I grow out of it

PS: I would not start out to do harder things, I would take it easy and get used to it first.

Last edited:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I say go for it. I have a large child who will probably be moving up to a 250F type bike in the next year or so. It'll only go as hard as you turn the throttle.

tap 'er light

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
if you really want a CRF250R, then go for it, but i wouldnt get the "X" because it weighs significantly more than the "R" version. on TT, all they talk about it the CRF250R forum is how much valves are because they need to be replaced :coocoo: , so be mindful that this bike is said to have valve issues. if you buy one, save yourself the money by buying an '05, instead of an '06, the dual cans are louder and more expensive to modify/replace than the single can.

atticus9

Mar 15, 2007
I started on a 05 TTR-230 That was my first bike i learned on an 80 drove it 6 times or so, and baught my 230 it was definately alot of power and felt good for me. Im 15 5'11 maybe 6ft and it fit good im on my tippy toes on a yz 250F and its got power easy to handle but i highly suggest you start on something smaller. But go for it man if you want it, you could handle with the basics down.

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
Buying a 230 will be a waste of money for a person your size. You will quickly outgrow it!

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
I would say the CRF250X. It is almost as light as the R. But it has the easy buttion (electric start) and the kicksatrt. It has a headlight for trial riding. And a break light.

And it is geard more for yard and trails use. BUT it can be used on the track to.

Top Bottom