CRF250X radiator boil over resivor

Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
I have a CRF250X and I want to turn it into a CRF250R. You are probably wondering why I didnt just get a the "R" model in the first place, its because I want a green sticker. Is it possible to plug the radiator and take the resivor off? I dont want that tank under the rear fender. I am going to put a PC water pump on it so overheating shouldn't be a problem, and I will be riding at a good pace as well.

I went to the local dealership to talk to one of the guys there about this and he didnt know anything, he said that the "R" model didnt have one because it is the race model and its air cooled while the radiator of the machine was staring him in the face. Then he tried to tell me the CRF's camshaft was in the crankcase. Then he started to compare a CRF250 to a '69 Dodge Charger!!! :yikes:

WHAT HAS THE WORLD COME TO? :bang:

Last edited:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
You might want to check the radiator caps on both models and see if they are the same. The X may not allow boil over because it goes into and out of the resevoir tank and the R may just boil over like the 450. I'm not sure, I may be way off though, which is not unusual.:)

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I used to have a '69 Charger with a 440 magnum motor (many years ago). That's an odd comparison. :yikes:

Last edited:

Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
Thanks for the replies. And I know, I'm not seeing the logic behind comparing a Charger to a CRF250. I can understand salespeople not being real knowledgeable, but what I heard yesterday was unbelievable.

rato

Oct 1, 2004
Radiator caps are the same.

Took the res. tank off my X. Noticed that warming up the bike for about 3min. (oil change) it started to throw away some coolant. I bought the bike about a week ago, and have been preparing it for the first ride (lube points; oil change to mineral oil; torque specs; carb mods; airbox mods) but I haven't taking it out for the break-in ride because here in Portugal it has been very hot and very dusty so I'll wait for this weekend and see how the weather turns out.

I checked the reference on the radiator cap and they are the same for the R and X (19037-KRN-003), but...the radiators are different. Is their going to be a problem with that, I will tell you after taking it out to ride, but I will be keeping an eye on the coolant level all the time.

Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
The only reason the CRF250X has a resivor and the "R" doesnt is because the "X" is made for slow trail riding and the "R" for fast racing. The "X" has the resivor because Honda designed it so if you are going slow and not enough air is moving through the radiator grill you can still keep your coolant. Where as the "R" is made for going fast, so Honda assumes there will be plenty of air going through the radiator to keep it cool. Therefore the resivor is unneccessary. So as long as you keep the "X" moving along I dont see why there should be any problems.

rato

Oct 1, 2004
Radiator Res. issue

That's true. Here we mostly go riding in "Baja type" terrain in the southern part of Portugal. Sort of like the U.S. west coast area. So thats one of the reasons I took mine off. If their is any problem with overheating, then I will be looking foward to the cooling fan.

rato

Oct 1, 2004
Over here it cost's about 150 euros. I don't know how much it weighs though. Thanks for the tip on the water pump, I already knew about it and I'm trying to get it here in Portugal. I've already gone for the break-in ride, lost a little bit of coolant but not too much to refill the radiator.

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
Is it possible to plug the radiator and take the resivor off?

DON'T PLUG THE RADIATOR!! When the motor gets to normal or above normal temps the cooling system needs to vent to the atmosphere. Just route a rubber hose from the rad overflow out of the way to the ground under the bike.

Yanno, just like a '69 Charger :rotfl:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I know somebody looking for a 250X over flow tank system if one ends up being available.

Coopster

May 14, 2001
Hey Rato,

Are you anywhere near Assenta ? my wife is trying to get me to go back again this year. If I knew there was some riding to do in the area I would definetely be looking forword to it.

Top Bottom