mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
At the beginning of the year I bought a CRF250X when what I really wanted was CRF250R with E-start. My son hasn't really liked the bike from the beginning. I have decided the biggest thing he don't like is the wide ratio trans.I am checking into installing a R transmission in the X . Does anyone know if this will work while keeping the original shift forks and clutch hub?

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
He has aways rode cr's and crf-r's with close ratio transmission. 1st gear is very low,at the start of a race it will be on the rev-limit before it moves the length of itself. It takes off fine in 2nd gear but when shifting into 3rd it falls off because 3rd gear is so tall. He just likes the close ratio where the engine rpm's stays up high and crisp.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
the quick fix would probably be to do some experimentation with sprockets. First gear might become totally useless, but it might tighten up the rest to make it useable.

the other option might be to see if the local bike shops have any grenaded 250R engines laying around that you can cannibalize, then just lay everything out and see if things might work. I'd say look at the pictures on the fiche, but those aren't always dead on.

You might check with Service Honda, because they more than likely have plenty of 250R engines they remove to build their 500AF.

SBC383STROKER

Feb 28, 2008
As long as you put the same year gears in and thoroughly check for any interferences with the new gears and it is bench tested properly, i wouldn't be too worried about it as long as all the checks come out fine then it should be ok. Consider changing only the gears not the shafts, shift forks or anything else, just the gears so you can get that close ratio you want.

Top Bottom