steveman123

Sep 29, 2003
I though I had plug in straight, guess not.. I tried putting it back in and im affraid its not going to hold right. They may be stripped. the bike is a yamaha ttr 125L. What should I do?

COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
You can either remove the head and have the hole repaired at a shop or you can go get a helicoil insert and do it yourself. I'd say these are the 2 extremes. I used the helicoil insert on my daughters 86 xr 80 and its worked fine but I haven't changed the plug in over a year. I'll probably have to install a new insert when I change the plug. On a newer bike, I'd use a machine shop to have it done. Either way, its an easy fix.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
What plug does the TTR-125 use?

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
I'd use a thread insert rather than a Heli Coil. If you are not comfortable doing this yourself take the head down to a automotive machine shop they should be able to help you out.

Steve

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
The TT-R 125 uses a C7-HSA. That plug has an 10mm thread.

I cannot promise that it will work on a TT-R, but I have had good results with some Hondas; namely ATC70s and Z-50s, by simply tapping out the existing hole and using a 12 mm plug, a D8-HA. Same reach, same heat range, bigger threads.

The thing to look out for are valve seats.

Pull the head? Nah, not necessary. Unless you can't get to the hole because of the angle, frame interference, etc. When drilling and/or tapping; keep some sticky grease on the tool. Most if not all of the chips will stick to the tool. If a couple fall down in the cylinder, no big deal anyway; they are just aluminum.

Perhaps some chips will lodge under a valve, but I have done dozens of these, and have never had a real problem. They usually crank right up.

Be warned; do it correctly; if you screw it up; it will be a new head. $223.00. But then that penalty goes for installing an insert as well.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
Should be an easy repair. Napa generally carries a few methods of spark plug thraad repair. Helicoils do work, as do inserts. Either one can increase the temperature of the sparkplug slightly.

Chris

Top Bottom