Mar 11, 2005
I have read a lot of post regarding Knee braces but I still have not decided which knee brace should I buy. I saw a lot of happy users of Asterisk at DRN but also complaints regarding the lack of durability (some users complain that their Asterisk are dismounting :coocoo: :coocoo: :coocoo: ).

I decided to buy a pair of good knee braces after my wife was injured after one of the most silly accidents (she was riding so slowly that she lost control of the bike and it felt over her leg...). She went to surgery 18 days ago (do not know how to say this in english but I know that is the most difficult recovery of all types of knee surgery).

So... what is your opinion? Which one should I buy? Asterisk or CTI Edge?

Please, take in consideration that I will not have maintainance support on this braces since I will buy them in US.

Thank you very much and once again, you are all invited to ride in Brazil!

Cheers

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2005
Thank you dante. I know they are great braces, but once you have you wife having to stay on the bed almost for 2 months (just leaving for recovery excercises - sorry my lousy english but I do not know the name of this excercises), you want to be sure you are buying the best brace possible.

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
I've been wearing the Asterisk Cell's for a couple months now and have no complaints. I have had no problems with the design or comfort of these braces. I am truely satisfied and impressed :cool: :cool:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Thump did you forget to provide a link to what you thought? We debated between the same two braces as well. Comparing them side by side for motocross I feel the Asterisk is the better choice. The coverage of the patella cap on the Cell compared to the Edge was the closer on the deal for me.

Mar 11, 2005
Thank you very much guys!! I have already read this review. I feel better now specially because we are talking about safety and a not negligible amount of money (specially taking into account that I do not make money in dollar terms, which make this brace cost at least twice as much).

Regarding the "dismounting" problems, am I wrong or they changed some parts do the Asterisk brace and they are now being assembled "in better shape"?

Thank you again guys!

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Yes they have changed components in the Asterisk brace. Most importantly the cables. Originally they were made from a braided steel that was super strong but as it was constantly being bent the cable began to work harden and break. They have replaced it with a fiber cable that will not work harden and it is just as strong.

Mar 11, 2005
Thank you Thump... :) :)

I promise these are the last 2 questions! :bang: :bang:

1) The fact that I go to the woods by any chance make Asterisk not good for me (someone said that they are perfect for motocross)?

2) the fact of being a Brazilian, if I need to fix the brace, am I going to have problems if I ask a friend in US to send my braces to Asterisk? In other words, the fact of not being an american citizen makes the warranty not valid any more??

Thank you, thank you and thank you!

Cheers

Brazilian Rider

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I was the one who said they were perfect for motocross. I should have been less specific and stated they were ideal for off road use. They will be just as effective in the woods. I've seen other threads were folks from overseas have sent braces in for repair, there should be no warranty issue. If you're really concerned on that issue have your friend in the US call and verify that.

Mar 11, 2005
Thank you Chili, I appreciate your help. Based on all the comments of the DRN fellows, I decided to buy one pair of Asterisk for me. One additional comment... I have one colleague that is changing his CTI Edge for an Asterisk, after having having to go to surgery on a stupid fall at motocross (he was almost stopped).

Cheers

Top Bottom