cycle computer on all our scoots???

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
I just read how to install a cycle computer to my scoot.
I don't do enough enduro to warrant a $400 computer, so I've been using my ironman watch and trip odometer.
I'd like to try adding a cycle computer, but really can't decide which one to get. I have 2 road bicycles and 1 mountain, all have different computers.
None reset by 10th of a mile and all are a little small on the numbers to read. :(
Has anyone done this and run an enduro, did it help??? hurt???? last???
What brand did you use??? Like it???
I'd like to install it on all our scoots if it works well.
Any comments would be great. >:)
Joe
2001 KDX 200
2-2001 TTR 125 Boy "A"'s and "B"'s
2000 ATK 127 LQ new steed to the stable
If God didn't want you to fall down, then why did he make dirt soft????

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
I tried the bicycle computers, roll charts/wristwatch for several years. Finally broke down and got an 'enduro' computer. IMHO it's worth the extra outlay. The races are ALOT more fun. I now know immediately how late I am, instead of having to check the chart, watch, then odo to see how late I am.....

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
Craig wrote:
I tried the bicycle computers, roll charts/wristwatch for several years. Finally broke down and got an 'enduro' computer. IMHO it's worth the extra outlay. The races are ALOT more fun. I now know immediately how late I am, instead of having to check the chart, watch, then odo to see how late I am.....

I think that what you are trying to say is that your computer tells you when to SLOW down so that you dont burn a check. You could just follow Justin and follow his computer if he remembers to check his batteries! All I need to know is HOW late I am. I am rarely ahead of schedule, and at times I wonder if knowing doesnt make me ride over my head and make more mistakes.

DENNY

Nov 24, 1999
After riding for 5 years with a Pace Maker I was very worried when I was told that it would take over a month to repair it. The first enduro I rode with a roll chart, watch and odometer, and I everthing went well. Zeroed every check in but I had problems on the fly. So the next enduro I put two bullet connectors on a old bicycle computer and plugged it into the Pace Maker pick-up. Then I hit reset at the check in and I watched the MPH Average function. This helped but the numbers are small. I miss the buzzer, remote switch, and easy to read display but all in all the old way still works. I actually enjoyed the step back and I will appreciate the Pace Maker even more when I get it back.

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
cycle computer has few bells and whisles

I thought I drop on my cross bar and leave it on either average speed or timer. My first one I did I was early every check, no told me to go slow!!! I ran it like a LOOOOOng MX race. I'm rarely early now!! Again if I do 2-3 enduro a year, it's a lot. I like doing them, but Hare Scrambles are more fun to me!! (Must be the years I raced MX!)
I've put my Specialized on my bars and try to read the numbers, way too little!
I take a look at the one at Walmart, I've looked at them in catalogs but, it way different in person, on the bar and flying through the woods!
As always you guy always have the info I need!
Joe
I think the trees have it out for me! Why else would they always move into my way????

jblefty

Aug 16, 2001
I bought the walmart version and bought the panoram brand pickup cable specifically for my bike. Everything for about $50.00 to $55.00 The computer seems to hold up just find. It looks identical to the panoram unit, but I know the new panorams have the tenth reset.

Mine works for me until I get real serious about the enduros.

jblefty

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
I was told that the Walmart unit was different from the Panorama unit from Trail Tech. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
Panorma Computera

I went to a friend of mine who owns Bike Line Bike Shop.
He had one on his RMX a few years ago.
He's calling the factory today to see which one would work best.
The only thing he said was that the time clock counts up instaed of down.
I let you know what he said and what parts they,(he ) recommends
joe ;)

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
kelvin it's different,the pedal bike version i just got .....i had to make the lead longer and go to radio shack for a different magnet.i tried it out yesterday seems good.i just wanted to a trip meter and a speedometer ,it has more info than i need so a part time racer should be ok.btw i got the NEXT drink system/gear pack too very nice unit.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Thanks gooby - I figured that the cables would need to be modified. I was concerned over the functions of the unit. Does the Wally World version have the same functions as the Trail Tech version?

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
this has: current speed,average speed,max speed,distance,odo 1,odo2,riding time,trip time,accumulated riding time,clock,lube and maintenance reminder.odo 1 and 2 means u can program it for 2 diff bikes

Top Bottom