minidog

May 18, 2002
getting ready to do top end on my 2002 kdx 200. I hear that there is supposed to be an i. d. letter stamped somewhere on cylinder (a,b,c,or d) cant find it for ordering new piston. where is it located. Also while im here please tell me if I look into exhaust port with pipe removed arent I supposed to see the kips valves or something. All I see is the piston and no valves (maybe its in open position from carbon or is it supposed to look like this) Noticed a slow responce from rolling on power lately. Done all my jetting-45 pilot, air screw1/2 turn out (any more out and will produce a bad bog off idle) needle in 2nd from top and a 152 main was running good until lately thanks

speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
I read that there was a letter somewhere on the cylinder or dome. The only letter i saw was a E2 on the right side of the dome on my '93kdx200 and no letters on the '96 200. This is with the seat and tank off. Perhaps more items need to be removed. I'd like to know myself.
Go to the first thread 'Every kdx rider should read this' and check out the tech tips on Kips for more info. Lots of good info there.
'96 kdx200
'93 kdx200

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Look again.

Try the top LH forward corner of the cylinder..and the head (as the head is installed on the cylinder. It's a large letter, easily visable.

re: Also while im here please tell me if I look into exhaust port with pipe removed arent I supposed to see the kips valves or something.

You'd better hope!!

You can see the subport drums and the main flapper. If you take off the slotted cover on the LH side of the cylinder to expose the main KIPS shaft, you'll find a nut that will allow manual activation of the KIPS. Actuate the valves via rotation of that nut while looking into the exhaust port, and you'll see (you'd better!) all sorts of things moving around.

A cynical comment would be, 'If you don't see the KIPS stuff, I can 'see' your missing the alpha designation on the head/cylinder,' but not being cynical myself, I won't say that. ;)

minidog

May 18, 2002
Went out to look for letter today and could not even find bike. Initially took about 2 hours or so-right where I left it (in garage). Started looking for letters and came across some, here they are-- K A W A S A K I-- then I thought to myself this couldnt be right so I looked again and came across this --------------K D X, was sure this would be it, but then I started thinking to myself maybe I should listen to CC so I went and found a chiesel and sandblaster and removed all of the mud (about 2 inches thick) from injun and lo and behold the letter A appeared. I really would like to thank you CC for your infinate knowledge and patience with me. Just recieved my disability check in mail today- (legally Blind)- and thought I could repay you for your input-what will it be?- PRUNE JUICE OR MIDOL

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
'PRUNE JUICE OR MIDOL..'

I use the former to take the latter, thanks. I'll be looking for it in the mail.....

If you know about the letters, you know what they represent?

A piston from kawasaki is likely to be a 'B'. You cannot designate an alpha 'size' when you order a piston from kawi. If you want an 'A', you should get it from a pro-x vendor/dealer.

Best to measure the cylinder first to determine the correct size. That said, the difference between the designations doesn't amount to much...less than 1/2 a thousandth, 0.00039". Unlikely you will have a problem with a size 'mismatch'.

At least you didn't find anything that said, 'S U Z U K I' !

speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
I'll be darned if I can find a letter on the outside of the cylinder or dome on the front left side on the '93 or '96 kdx200's. Do I have to pull the head? I'm going crazy here.
tom

speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
I finally found the letter 'B' on my '96 kdx200 right where you said it would be by looking between the lower radiator hose and plastic shroud while shinning a flashlight at a 90' angle to the head. The guy must of been pretty tired when he stamped my cylinder. My '93 has no letter or they hid it from me.
thanks
tom

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
'93 not being an 'H' model I don't know if they are even classified as such.

Certainly it's on the '95 and uppers.....but, you know that now!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom