procircuit21

Nov 19, 2002
I have a 1991 KDX 200 and I want to revalve the suspenion. I guess if you send the shock/forks into racetech or wherever you can expect to pay around $180 minus the parts for the shock and the same for the forks. I have forks from a '93 on there and they have stiffer fork springs in them already. The rear shock is all stock. How much of a deal is it to put in just new valves by yourself with minimal experience and what special tools does it require?

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
Installing the new valves by yourself is quite easy--deciding on [configuring] the valving rates is the difficult part. You first have to analyze what is "wrong" with your current valving, then decide what kind of valving will correct it. Race-Tech sends a very comprehensive video with each Gold Valve kit showing you HOW to disassemble fork or shock and How to install the new valving but it's up to you to come up with the correct [?] valving. They supply tables where you enter your weight, riding ability, etc and you get a valving suggestion, but I've had to re-revalve several times to get the results that I wanted. The KDX shock has a standard compression/rebound piston that is easily revalved without the GV kit. The forks, however have an "on-off" type valve that is near impossible to do anything with. Get the GV kit and install it up front --You'll be glad you did. This leaves the fork with a bogus rebound valve [that same on-off thing] though --and the stock KDX rebound is way too quick. MX-Tech and 1 other co. offer adjustable rebound valves but there's another $125 "down the tubes" so to speak.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
That's where I'd start -do one thing at a time or you can really confuse yourself-and the bike even more.. Like the forks [and this depends on your weight & riding] the shock has too much compression damping. I'd initially remove a couple of the largest [38mm] shims from the low speed compression stack-those right next to the piston face. Also go to Race-tech.com and enter your bike , weight etc and see what spring rates they recommend

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom