XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
This is the guy who hired McGrath for JR Racing . . .

Fox Sports said:
Earnhardt Jr. leaving DEI after season
MOORESVILLE, N.C. - Dale Earnhardt Jr. has parted ways with DEI, the company his father founded in 1980.

Earnhardt announced on Thursday that he was leaving DEI, where he started his NASCAR career at 21 in the Busch Series, to become a free agent.

"At 32 years of age, the same age my father was when he made his final and most important career decision, it's time for me to compete on a consistent basis and contend for championships now," Earnhardt said at a news conference. "I believe I'd have my father's blessing."

In December, Earnhardt said he hoped to have his contract completed by May. But as the months passed, Earnhardt added he was free to contact other owners on May 1. As that deadline expired, Earnhardt told FOXSports.com on Tuesday, "You'll all know soon what my plans are." Earnhardt and his stepmother Teresa addressed DEI this morning before the press conference at JR Motorsports.

"We worked really hard, but we were never close," Earnhardt said of negotiations with DEI. "I am a little sad, but I am trying to remind myself to be excited about what's ahead."

"I'm sad that I have to leave some employees that I got close to, leave some relationships," Earnhardt said. "We're going to finish this year out, and I told my guys we're going to run hard. I don't want any excuses for us not giving our best effort. I plan on giving everything I've got like I always do, and hopefully that's what I'll get in return."

Now the question becomes just which owner can present the most attractive offer. For Earnhardt it's not just about the money, but where he can go to win championships.

"It's not the guy who gives me the biggest paycheck. It's the person I feel like will allow me to accomplish what I want to in my career, on the race track, in this shop itself, he said. "There's some things you can't get with money, peace of mind and satisfaction in what you do every day. ... I'm seeking to have that peace of mind and that comfort to be able to really be an asset to somebody. I want to go somewhere and really make things happen for somebody."

There have been more than a few Earnhardt sightings with Hendrick Motorsports' principals over the last few months that have fueled rumors that Budweiser would return to NASCAR's top organization, possibly with the No. 3 in tow. But which car would he drive and which driver would be displaced? Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson obviously aren't going anywhere. Kyle Busch, 21, has exhibited a few prickly, uncomfortable moments but factoring in his level of talent along with his age the potential of growth on both accounts is more than promising. Casey Mears has had an unfortunate season so far but it's not like Rick Hendrick to cut the cord this quickly.

Certainly, Earnhardt's relationship with Richard Childress dates back the farthest, although his grandfather Robert Gee was one of Hendrick's first motorsports employees. But since Earnhardt Sr.'s death, Childress has been there for the entire family whether the children needed something or if Earnhardt matriarch Martha needed a flight to Daytona.

There's a level of trust between the Earnhardts and Childress dating back almost 30 years. While Hendrick's roster is full, Childress is currently in expansion mode and is adding 90,000 square-feet to the existing building.

"He's a great race car driver," said Mike Dillon, vice president of competition for Richard Childress Racing.

"I believe he can win races and championships and we could provide that for him here.

"His fan base and popularity will certainly make any deal attractive with Junior. He's a genuinely nice guy, that's the cool part of the deal. But you have to be concerned with the existing teams here and make sure they're comfortable any situation we would bring in. We'd love to have him but you would have to be prepared. We have championship caliber teams already and have to be careful not to upset the existing situation.

"Certainly, we would love to have him. I hope we're that lucky. I wish we're in the running but if you listen to the rumor mill, I don't see that happening."

Would Junior climb into the No. 3 car his father made famous and Childress still owns?

"I've got to do a little soul searching on how I feel driving the No. 3 car," Earnhardt said.

A third scenario has Earnhardt becoming a satellite organization with Hendrick Motorsports. Engines and engineering support would come directly from HMS.

In a statement, Teresa Earnhardt said DEI will thrive following Junior's announcement.

"While we are very disappointed that Dale Jr. has chosen to leave the family business, we remain excited about our company's future," she said. "Dale and I built this company to be a championship contender, and those principles still apply. Dale Earnhardt Inc. will win. ... This company has a great legacy and a bright future, built on loyalty, integrity and commitment."

His sponsor, Budweiser, issued a statement through vice president Tony Ponturo.

"Budweiser, Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Dale Earnhardt Inc. have enjoyed a great relationship since 1999. Dale Jr., and his father before him, have been excellent and loyal ambassadors for our company and the sport of NASCAR. Budweiser and JR Motorsports have an agreement in place to ensure Dale Jr. will continue to personally represent Budweiser through 2008, and we look forward to discussing our future with Dale Jr. and DEI in the weeks ahead."

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Darrell Waltrip weighs in:
Darrell Waltrip said:
DW: No. 3 would be nice

Three-time Cup champion and NASCAR on FOX analyst Darrell Waltrip, one of Dale Earnhardt Sr.'s friendly rivals, traveled from Nashville at Earnhardt's request to join him for Thursday's announcement.
"This was incredibly difficult, a lot of emotion and the hardest thing he's had to deal with up until now," Waltrip said of Earnhardt's decision to leave DEI. "This is a big deal."

Now, Earnhardt must decide which team is the best fit for him.

"I've always thought RCR just because of the Childress-Earnhardt relationship," said Waltrip of Richard Childress Racing, where the elder Earnhardt won six of his seven championships. "I have personally have always thought the racing world would be right if Dale Earnhardt Jr. drove the black No. 3 car."

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
All LIES I tell ya. (He heard RC was coming)

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
NASwhaaaa?

Non
Athletic
Sport
Centered
Around
Rednecks

:p

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
OK, XRpred., tell us how you really feel!

Now, undersand this, please; this is NOT a comparison to Rob. :blah:

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Big yawn...........I cannot believe that this story actually made the national news.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
SpDyKen said:
OK, XRpred., tell us how you really feel
I think it was time for Jr. to get out from under the DEI tent. I also think hes gonna end up driving the #3 car for Richard Childress.

haters.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Dale who? Does he ride for a satellite team?

Top Bottom