canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I've read on this forum the (mistaken) idea that Scotts is the ONLY damper that has NO damping return-to-center. Well..that idea may well come from Scotts saying they are such a large improvement over 'other' dampers in that regard.

I finally took the time (being a dayposter and all ;) ) to find a couple of quotes on the subject.

For general info..........

From a WER ad:
· Returning to center is always no damping. This is an especially
important feature, as damping returning to center will greatly affect
the bike's handling when jumping, or in case the rider hits a ditch or
rock and the wheels leave the ground.

The above from: http://rockymountainmc.com Search for 'WER'

From a Scotts tech writeup:
One of our dampers most important features is that the Scotts Stabilizer only dampens as the handlebar turns away from center. The handlebar "free-valves" back to dead straight. That makes the bike want to go straight, all by itself. This is a huge advantage over other dampers.

The above from: http://www.hardracing.com/Shocks & Steering Damp/ScottsInfo.htm

'Why is our stabilizer so much better than others'

Note that at the bottom of the page of the above URL, they list a number of 'Scotts is the ONLY stabilizer that...' items and 'no damping return-to-center' is NOT on that list.

Last edited:

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
hey cc i have both, my scotts there is resistance on return ,my wer ....none.i'm not sayin one is better than the other just that what mine does is contrary to their ad.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
What!!! You mean something may be advertised that is NOT TRUE!!!

Well!! I just don't believe it!! ;)

Scotts makes a big deal of 'no damping return to center'. Maybe yours needs fixin'? My riding buddy's new scotts doesn't damp TO center.

I dunno...... :(

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
i'll look at it ,seems to work fine and i can dial more or less damping,nothing leaking?i just feel a little res comin back.in fact i bounced the left bark buster off a non moveable tree and i think i recovered due to the scotts.also if u don't have REAL hand guards get em ,i'de have broken fingers if not for mine :)

Top Bottom