truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Dirt-Bike-Gear.com Scotts Damper Impact Pad
Price (Includes Shipping)
$18
Available with orange or silver silk-screened logo.

First Impression:
The pad is thick (the padding rises 1" above the damper) and appears to be made of a stiffer foam than used for crossbar pads (Rubitex 451). Although the damper impact pad is designed to protect the damper I immediately saw it as a device that would help keep my body safer as well. I have busted my chin on my steering damper a few times and almost knocked myself out. The damper impact pad should help lessen the impact the next time.

Sizing:
There is only one size. The fit of the pad is very sturdy and when mounted on the damper it does not move, even when hit by a tree or from body contact. It fits right over the damper and is made only to fit over the damper so you still have room in that area for enduro computers and such. However, I wish there was a MX/Desert racing pro-taper style size that was a little wider and covered more of the bar clamps.

The current design will fit under a cross bar if the cross bar is bent (which you have to do for most bars to allow the damper anyway). It is 1" thick above the damper and can be modified to have less height if you want.

As delivered:
As delivered I simply put it right on the damper. It fit snug and did not move. It came with a knob connected to a long piece of plastic that actually did move the damper adjuster. The plastic comes long so you can cut to fit or leave long if you have a crossbar and need the adjuster to rise above it.

Functionality:
The pad is a very simple design but one that is welcome by those of us who use Scott's dampers. At the price of $18 (shipping included) it is a great deal. The pad is capable of a lot of abuse and can be cut and modified if desired.

Wrapping it up:
If you have a Scott's damper this is a nice piece to get. It protects the damper well, fits well and can protect you if you ever go chin down into your damper. I really like the product and would not hesitate to buy one.

Pluses:
High quality material (Rubitex 451, a dense, impact absorbing industrial neoprene).
Very sturdy and stays put.
Adjusting knob.

Minuses:
Wish there was a little wider size available.
Need a version for the GPR stabilizer.

Contacting Dirt-Bike-Gear.com:

http://www.Dirt-Bike-Gear.com

Dirt-Bike-Gear.Com
PMB 140
726 N. Main
Gunnison, CO 81230

Email: info@dirt-bike-gear.com

Pics:
http://dirt-bike-gear.com/images/pad3-4.gif
http://dirt-bike-gear.com/images/padBottom.gif

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Update... I have raced an MX and a HS with the damper pad. I took the adjuster knob out and duct taped the hole to keep dirt out. I am still pleased with the unit and it does protect the damper from roost, rocks and branches. It also made hitting it softer. It still hurt but not as bad as it could.

Ivan

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Just a follow up on this product. It has withstood a lot of abuse. I have ridden MX and HS with it and have landed on it quite a few times. It definately is worth the $19.

Ivan

Top Bottom