XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Okiewan said:
Pred, read a couple of my posts. I DO NOT disagree with trying to protect anything.
yes, sorry I came across like you said that.

I know your beef -- the "overconfidence" (for lack of a better term) in an unproven product. I, like you (I think), hope it all works out for the best.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Reed is going to try one this week during practice.
From RacerX interview:

What about the Leatt Brace?
Everyone’s talking about them.
I haven’t tried it yet. I’m having one sent to Florida. We’ll try it this week. It’s something you need to try and see if it’s good and if you can race with it. I believe in it, I really do. If I had a kid, I would want my kid to wear it. If I’m preaching it, then I need to be a good preacher and do it too. I heard something this week that I said I wasn’t going to try it for the rest of supercross, and that’s not true. I never said that.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
KDub wearing his brace during a race.

Attachments

• Kdub Leatt brace.jpeg
    Kdub Leatt brace.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 222

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Pretty interesting what Doc has to say right here:

"So as far as making a Leatt Brace mandatory, do you anticipate acceptance on some timeline?
Doc's response: Like I said, what I have seen so far is that it will be an excellent device. It's going to save a lot of people injuries that could have received without it. It's going to take a year or two of looking at it to make sure there is no downsides that show up. If we start seeing no one that uses one gets injured and the guys not using them are, then you will see us pushing to make in mandatory in a year or two."

I like how he says something about changing the foam in dirt helmets.

Off topic but awhile back I started riding w/out a hard chest protector. Due to all this I started wearing it again, w/my PCS neck roll.

+30

Aug 2, 2005
anyone own one?

I sure would like to hear from anyone who owns one, as I have one major concern with the design of this brace. Im not trying to put this product down, I just want an assurance it may not actually be dangerous to wear. It appears to me that the brace can actually slip under the edge of your helmet on the left and right sides, if it does and continued pressure is put on the side of the helmet wont the brace effectively become a fulcrum around which your neck will be bent??? Look a k-dub in post 83, it appears as though his helmet may already be over the left hand side of this brace just going around a corner, now what would happen if he were recieve a pushing force from the right side of his helmet, would not that rigid bar become a fulcrum to the neck?
Ok with that said, I love the front back protection design, and I have cash in hand and Im itching to purchase this thing, but I really would like some more data on these side impacts.....Could anyone who owns one post a photo proving the helmet cant slip over the side of the brace? Thanks!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Slip over the side by the person cocking there head to one side? I'll try to take some tonight if I get a chance just want to be sure I'm shooting the correct thing you are asking.

B

biglou

I've heard that concern before also. I don't have one, but I'm looking. As for making it a fulcrum, it makes your lever (neck) much shorter if the fulcrum is at the bottom of the helmet as opposed to the bottom of your neck. However, I believe they state emphatically that it protects for overextension in all directions.

Check the product review forum, there is at least one thread in there form some who have purchased one of these.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
There is also this on the site, looking at the two I imagine it would be very difficult to do but I doubt it would be completely impossible.

Attachments

• rd_sabs03.gif
    rd_sabs03.gif
    117.4 KB · Views: 177

+30

Aug 2, 2005
Chili, thats the correct idea, my concern is a crash that pushes the riders head from the side toward the shoulder and possibly pushes the neck into the side of the brace, without having one of these things in hand Im not sure that could happen but that photo of kevin (post 83)looks suspect already and thats just normal forces....
and biglou you make a good point, I just want to be sure this is not a solid object around which my neck may be leveraged in an extreme side impact. My cash is still in hand, though as I am often completely and thouroughly wrong in my initial opinion of a product.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
+30 please excuse the poor photos but I was in a rush as my model was more interested in his Mx vs ATV Unleashed match than posing for extended attempts to get what I was after artistically :laugh:

Here is a head on shot so you get an idea of the overlap on the sides.

front.JPG

Here is the right side of the rider (camera left) with is head cocked as hard as he could to his right.

left.JPG

and the opposite side also cocked as hard as he could.

right.JPG

For arguments sake I took hold of his helmet chin bar in one hand and attempted to pull it over the edge of the brace while pushing the brace into his neck with the other hand. I was able to just get the edge of the helmet over the lip of the brace but it took considerable force, and we did not have the strap that helps keep the brace in place around his chest which likely allowed it to move further than it would when properly secured. It was around this time he figured he'd had enough modelling. go figure :laugh:

Hope this was of some help.

+30

Aug 2, 2005
:cool: Chili
Thanks for taking the time to gear up jr. and post the photos! I see what you are saying, I think I will order one and give it a try, btw where did you find yours? Thanks again for the pics and info!
ps can i get mx vs atv on atari 2600?

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Chili said:
+30 please excuse the poor photos but I was in a rush as my model was more interested in his Mx vs ATV Unleashed match than posing for extended attempts to get what I was after artistically :laugh:
"Jeez, Dad! Couldja hurry up already, eh?!"

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom