mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
We got a KTM200 (not sure which one, but an enduro-type) in the shop for some minor work this week. We got the work done fine, but when I test rode it, it would not go into first gear. Second and all the rest seem fine and it pulls okay in second....which leads me to believe that first gear may not be "one-down" as in all other bikes (we are a Honda/Kawasaki dealership), but may be "one-up". This seems highly unlikely, but.....???
What is the shift pattern for the KTM200, year 2004 (the customer says)?????? Thank you!!

BTW, the KTM motor is MUCH stronger on top than my personal 2006 KDX200 (stock). I was impressed.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I have ridden an '03 EXC that had the normal pattern - first gear down.

Maybe it has a clutch issue, or there is some sort of thick oil in the gear box that needs to get nice and hot before it will go into first?

And yes - the motor is indeed much stronger than a KDX. Those 200's are a blast.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Thanks, Dave. Discovered today that the shift lever was loose on the shaft, (the bolt was loose) and had apparently rotated down. It was hitting the frame when attempting to go into low gear.
Took it off the shaft, rotated it up, tightened the bolt, and all is good again. This bike obviously has received very little TLC during its life....all sorts of parts are worn out/broken/missing. Too bad. It still starts on the first kick every time, though!

Top Bottom