kevan

Oct 30, 2001
wwwwoooowwwwwwww
instant ,almost telepathic 1/4 too 3/4 throttle responce
no noticeable gain top end........
42 pilot 178 main 6 slide 2nd clip cgh slide
still spluttery 1/8
6 too 6.5 slide mod next.....new slide if i **** it up.........
where's me Dremal...???????/

socal scott

Nov 2, 2001
Is your ride a KTM 200?
If so, slap a DDK in that puppy. Very clean first 1/4 throttle and even moved the hit down lower in the powerband. I use 42p/180m @ sea level.
Oh yeah, the FMF AOF ignition makes the motor pull long and hard($100 US). Front end will easily loop-out in 5th gear on hard pack, going into 6th with a tug will net you a small wheelie.:scream:

kevan

Oct 30, 2001
delta 2

mine's a 2001 300exc.......now rips everywhere apart fro the dreaded
1/8 /1/4 splutter....what pipe do you use?

socal scott

Nov 2, 2001
Using the FMF Gnarly for more bottom/mid, but you should look into the SST pipe for added top whilst improving bottom and mid.
I strongly recomend searching www.holeshotforum.com before you mod the slide, focus on the needle if you haven't.
Check out the "Jetting" forum, James Dean is the Oracal of jetting for KTM's.

kevan

Oct 30, 2001
slide

i have had this issue since getting the bike.......
have tried 38/42/45 pilots 3 noz needles and 2 single taper ones
kindly sent over too me by a forum member.........
all mods had very little effect low down ....mid too top now fine
plug colour perfect.....some spooge.......slide seems the only option left.
new one £220 in the u.k.........hence the dremal.........

kevan

Oct 30, 2001
after asking around there seems to be very few 300exc's ridden here in the U.K
so swopin cdi's is not an option.......havent even consided electric's
studying various forums the issue seems very common on the 300's
so that where I,ve applied the time
if the ignition were faulty i would have thought it would either run or not
the bike "flies" everywhere else in the power range...just feels to be
rich of the bottom.......It's worse with the air screw is 1 turn in but
at 2+ its a bit better but pings on overun...

Last edited:

the mayor

Feb 25, 2002
do yourself a faovor and go to a Yamaha shop and order the n3ej...stock needle for a 2002 YZ250. Your jetting problems will be solved

the mayor

Feb 25, 2002
I have a 2000 250exc....I'm running the needle in #3,45,pilot and 178 main(may be able to go leaner when it warms up around here).I found this needle by accident,but tried all the noz*, ce* and dd* needles.The ddk was my favorite. I have a friend with a 2001 300 that was having the same problem as you...and tried every needle in the book. I let him try the n3ej needle and had to beat him with a stick to get it back from him( I can't remember what his other settings were)

the mayor

Feb 25, 2002
Kevan,
If you lived in New England instead of "old"England, I'd give you a pocket full of needles and let you have at them.But 3000 miles of ocean puts a wrench in that.:p

kevan

Oct 30, 2001
Mayor

well mate ....the needles I have were sent too me from a helpfull guy on Holeshot forum
from Reno Arizona........so if you want my address ........
of course I,ll happly repay your costs >>>>>>>>.

Kev.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
I would suggest a cek-3 or 4 and a cej-3 oe 4 before you spring for the slide if you are riding under 4000 ft or so. It will be 2 clips positions richer in length and 2 steps leaner in straight section diameter. Should help clean up the 1/8 to 1/4 sputter. $5 or so from sudco or your local kehin distributor

The cgh or profiles like it seem preferred by guys who run open areas. The cek and cej seem to be all around favorites.

Last edited:

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Kevan - Stay in touch with Marcus. Since he too lives in the U.K., He will probably be able to get you to the right places for carb parts.

Good LucK!

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Kevan i think you may well have the only 300-i have a Cr125 nowdays-used to ride a 125sx.The carb off the KTMs is a Kehin PWK(may be an airstriker-or a powerjet)you can get parts ofr these from many other dealers-the KXs used these carbs until recently.

Top Bottom