Dent in new FMF Pipe... boo hoo

mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
Last Friday I received/installed my new FMF Fatty Pipe. I put a pipe guard that protected the exposed pipe accept for a three inch section near the gas tank shrowed. This past saturday I road at uhwarrie, NC Forest trail system....home of lots of large rocks. It was during my one crash for the day I received a nickel size dent in my new pipe, in the three inch exposed area. The dent is about a 1/4" deep. Will this effect my performance much and if so, how does one remove it?

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
it shouldn't efect performace if its in the fat part of the pipe. if its in the first 6 inchs of the pipe (head pipe) it would have had an efect if bigger but i doubt it because its such a small dent.

XRDadKDXBeni

Aug 27, 2002
That small of a dent will have no effect on your pipe performance, but if you're like me, just seeing it everyday makes it look a whole lot bigger than it is. Some people use air pressure to bring out the dent and there is a way to do this in 2002 editions of DirtBike magazine. Carefully following this procedure could get the dent out, but small deformaties as the one you describe are difficult to deal with. You could drill a small hole in the center of the dent and pull it out ala body shop fender repair, or maybe a dent puller with a suction cup and adhesive would work. Were it me, I'd probably jsut get used to it and live with it.

Rokosh

Mar 4, 2003
Hey buddy,

As posted above you can fix dents by pluging the back end of the pipe (an inner tube folded over at least twice and a hose clamp works good ) and making a plug for the front end that will seal and through which you can connect an air hose ( you need to be a bit creative for this part ). Then you heat up the dent with a blow torch and put about 85-100psi into it... your dent should pop right out. I have done this before. This will mess up the nice chrome finish on your pipe though.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom