desert paddle tire question

mattb348

Aug 2, 2005
I plan on riding in the desert at some point, and I was wondering if you have to have a desert tire on the front of your bike.

I was just gonna get a paddle tire for the back and use the normal front tire. Would this work in the desert?

Also, how well do dirtbikes with paddle tires go in the desert?

Thanks.

Se77vN

Jan 24, 2005
I ride in the desert every time (that is all there is here in NM) I run a regular dunlop in the front and rear, never have any probs. Front tires are a little more forgiving.....if you find yourself getting squirly and bogged down in some thick sand just snap the throttle and pick that front tire up, that is the hardest thing to remeber when riding in sand.....keep on the gas, and keep that front tire from sinking in at all. You want it to just float above the sand. Hope that helps....it has worked well for me.

mattb348

Aug 2, 2005

OK then I'll just drive like I always do. I ride wheelies constantly and give it full throttle quite often :)

Thanks for the advice. I don't think I'll bother buying a paddle tire now.

AirtimeMosely

Dec 29, 2004
If you only rode sand I would suggest getting a paddle tire. Mine costed $40. I go to the Oregon Coast where the sand is very soft and very deep. I don't know if I could have done it without one. But I don't know how the dunes are at your house so I don't know. What seven said is right, keep the front tire up and never let off your throttle. You may also want to jet pretty rich because you will be hard on the pipe the whole time. It's a blast blowing the doors off of quads, especially if you ride a yz250. Its hard to turn around and manuver. Thats where quads are killer, but once your bike gets on top of the sand, you 'll haul!!!

dez nut

Oct 9, 2005
Paddle tire ?

Paddle tires are good for one thing and one thing only. Sand dunes. They are useless for any other terrain. If you are headed for the dunes, go for it. Otherwise there are several good soft, hard or intermediate terrain tires to choose from. I use the Dunlop D 739 AT on the rear and the D756 on the front. Dunlp also makes a D739 font tire that is really good in the sand. Check out their website for the complete line and description of what type of terrain each tire is designed for. Other manufacturers (Bridgestone, IRC, Michellin, etc) also make tires for various terrains. Good luck.
Deznut

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…