Difference between 88 and 89 KDX

KDXKen

Dec 14, 2002
Ok can anyone tell me the difference between the two ive been looking for parts to my 88 KDX200 but havent found many but i can find parts for a 89 with no problem will some or most of the parts for the 89 fit my 88?

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
89 was the first year for a water cooled KDX. I'd guess there are very little in the way of motor parts that would interchange (piston, rings, reeds and bearings would be it I think). Other parts on the bike however might work. The forks I think would be a direct swap. JasonWho might be able to give you more information on what would work for both.

-Maurice

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The '86 and '87 are very similar to the '88. The '86 is the first with a KIPS valve and front disc brake. Look to '86 and '87 for interchangeable parts with your '88.

There might be some overlap with the '83-'85, as the '86-'88 motor is similar with the addition of the KIPS valve. The '83-'85 have thinner forks and drum front brakes.

The '89 was pretty much all new and also is the first KDX with a rear disc brake.

KDXKen

Dec 14, 2002
Just parts in general but in particular the rear shock the one on it is origonal and im sure all the nitrogen or what ever they use has all leaked out i was looking on about what years would i be able to use or somewhere i could get my current one fixed

Top Bottom