luv2ride13

Sep 9, 2008
my son (14) crashed/totaled his yamaha ttr 125L bike this weekend. We found a bike - yamaha yz 125. What's the difference? He's been riding since he was 5. Any advice would be appreciated.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
ttr 125l is a heavy 4 stroke trail bike.

the YZ125 is a light weight 2 stroke race bike.

The only real comparison is that they are both blue, have 2 wheels and an engine.

Otherwise, they are completely different animals.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
more like a giant leap upward.

the YZ is pretty high strung in comparison to your TTR. It's a full size motorcycle.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
luv2ride13 said:
It's good for trail riding right? (sorry for all the stupid questions)

For an experienced trail rider, sure.

Of course, it would also depend on your kid.

I know of plenty of 14 year old kids who ride 125's, but I also know plenty of 14 year olds who are not ready for them.

BradLackeyJr

Aug 9, 2008
Hi,

What he's trying to tell you is that the ttr 125 is a nice tame, gentle trail bike. It's easy to start, maintain and is a predictable source of fun.

The YZ is a full on race bike. It's a monster compared to the ttr 125! It's temperamental and will require more attention to maintenance and more attention to riding technique as well.

I'm not saying your son couldn't handle it but I am warning you that the difference is huge. It's a big step up. A flick of the throttle on the YZ can rock your world if you're not ready. ;)

If you want to ease him into the racing environment I would suggest the YZ 85 to start... or equivalent in other brands. If you want to continue the ttr 125 experience you may want to investigate repairs or another.

BLJ

luv2ride13

Sep 9, 2008
Well he's been riding since he was 5. Raced when he was 9. We live on 10 acres and he's always riding and jumping. He's been wanting a 250 but I'm NOT ready for that. The crash was the fault of the other rider going the wrong way. What to do, what to do?

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
I have a TTR that is bored out to 150 and have owned a YZ125.

The YZ is a race bike and will be temperamental to deal with for a young rider. They have a throttle like a light switch and foul plugs IF they are not ridden in the upper RPM ranges ... which results in a high speed ride.

The TTR is vastly more tame, even with the 150 jug on it.

They are completely different bikes.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
The YZ-125 will have a lot more power that can get him into even more trouble. On the other hand, it has a much better suspension so it will actually handle something that would have wrecked the TT.

The seat height on the YZ will also be about 5 inches taller than the TT. How tall is your son?

I suspect that the YZ-125 would be a great bike for him. Just remember that it is a two stroke and you will need to mix oil with the gas.

Rod

Deadohiosky39

Jul 12, 2008
He should easily be fine on a 125 if he is that tall and has been riding for 10 years. Just keep up on the maintenance, remember to mix the gas, and tell him to take it easy for a couple rides until he gets used to it (though he probably won't listen to you, I didn't listen to my dad at the time and had a blast :) )

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom