Jesper

Feb 26, 2001
I'm setting up my new KTM 200 EXC -03 and used my PDS 2 from my old bike and also added .42 springs in the forks. The result was a very firm bike that felt like a MX bike to ride, worked very well on the MX track but not very compliant in rocks and roots. I will now try to decrease the spring rates, .38+.42 in front and use a PDS 1 that I have. Will the PDS 1 be a good match for the -03 shock for riding enduro or shall I spend the money for a PDS 6 or 7? For my -01 200 the PDS 1 was to soft for my 175lbs without gear, do the -03 KTMs need softer springs?

As I understand it the shorter PDS springs becomes stiffer earlier in the stroke, is the new shocks valving matched to the longer springs progression curve or is the choice of PDS 0-4 or 5-8 just a matter of application. Will a longer spring be better in the woods and the shorter on the MX track? Looking forward to hear from the collective wisdom.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The unfortunate thing about the pds springs is they are all different-say you tested 3 pds1's they would all start and end at a different rate.So the best thing to do is try it and see how it feels.

Jesper

Feb 26, 2001
I know that there is quite a bit of variation between PDS springs of the same model. Luckily I've been able to lend a couple of springs to test to get a feeling for which one to choose, so I guess it's just trial and error as usual.

But doesn't anybody on this huge forum even have an opinion on the difference between the long and short PDS springs and their characteristics? :worship:

Top Bottom