Digital Photog Types...

B

biglou

Shooting action with the Sigma 70-2mm lens, UV Filter and a polarizing filter, or just the UV? I think JPivey said "no" to the polarizer a while back, but everything I've been reading lately says it's about the single most important filter. So, yea or nay?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Thom's Maxim #18: Know what you want to change and why.

Thom's Maxim #19: Don't put extra glass or plastic in front of your expensive, well designed glass unless you need to.

Filtration 101 By Thom Hogan http://www.bythom.com/filters.htm

Filters are useful. Or useless. It just depends upon what you're using them for. - Thom Hogan

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Just get some polarized sunglasses ... go around with them on for a day. Pay attention, you'll see all the things they "change". Mostly subtle (car windshields turn purple, lol). Then decide if that works for the shot you want.

B

biglou

Stupid question, but would looking through the filter show me what effect it would have on the shot, more or less?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
biglou said:
Stupid question, but would looking through the filter show me what effect it would have on the shot, more or less?

Yep, that's what I do all the time. I keep a cheap circular polarizer filter with my camera stuff and look through it to decide if the effects will help. If it looks good I pop out the good polarizer, if not I just look like a goof. :whoa:

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Rich Rohrich said:
Yep, that's what I do all the time. I keep a cheap circular polarizer filter with my camera stuff and look through it to decide if the effects will help.

Colonel Klink! :rotfl:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Green Horn said:
Colonel Klink! :rotfl:

Yelling H O G A N N N N N while looking through the filter does seem to help the accuracy of the test. :whoa:

Top Bottom