svi

Dec 7, 2000
Originally posted by Shocknut
I think it works best with heavier vehicles myself...so far anyway.

Shock,
I'm not so sure it's weight related as tyre related, I think higher seat pressures suit vehicles that run on pavement as the sidewall stiffness can be 15 to 25 times greater than the suspension stiffness. I imagine a motocross tyre at about 10 p.s.i would have a far lower stiffness ratio.

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
Quite possible, but I know I hate changing rear tires unless they are thoroughly heated up and pliable. I'd rather pull a tranny out of a Buick then change a cold rear tire. :)

russ17

Aug 27, 2002
Shocknut was your approach just on the shock or was it on the forks too.Your deffinetley right on the tire deal.

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
Shock, I have a Penske 8900 for my YZ, and I have the Digressive/Linear, and VDP/Linear pistons for it. Talk about a "works" shock!! Too bad they quit making them really it's a total gem.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I was really impressed with the info on the penske website-however it looked to me that i takes a special kind of clever person to know which set up to choose.I know im not that clever and stick to non preloaded stacks-everytime i think how much better a set up can be, i realise 98% of the public wont buy it anyway-so i stick with std pistons for the time being.

russ17

Aug 27, 2002
I to would be confused on wich way to choose,every day I look at it to try to make heads or tails of it but it was intresting stuff.100% right on the publics view.

Bud-Man

Dec 5, 2000
Russ,
a common way to preload shims is to use a combination of an inner and outer shim. The outer shim is more like a band and is thicker than the inner shim. This has been common in the WP PDS setups for several years and I've seen it used on some recent Husky shocks. The outer shim being taller than the inner causes all the shims behind it to bend inward as you tighten the nut on the shock shaft. Walla...preload. The neat thing about this method is you can change the thickness of the inner shim to add or subtract preload.

Top Bottom