Dirt Bike Vacation

Jimbokdx

Oct 22, 2002
My wife, two sons and I want to do a 10 day dirt bike vacation this summer as soon as school lets out. Problem is... I don't know where to go!

We live in Ridgecrest CA (about 2.5 hours northeast of LA). We would like to experience different types of riding (i.e. wooded trails). We have two bikes and two quads, so wherever we go must be friendly to both.

Planning time is here. Any recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated.

BTW, if anyone would like to join us... come on!

Jimbo

Jimbokdx

Oct 22, 2002
That would be nice... excep: location, wrong time of year and I have two quads going.

I am looking at Arizona, Utah, Colorado or somethnig like that. I plan on going in the middle of June.

Jimbo

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Washington? Washougal is supposed to be a GREAT mx track, and I think there's lots of trails around there. Moab (Utah) is supposed to be fun too.

drBill

Dec 2, 2001
Sounds like fun. I'd love to get my family up to speed for a trip like that. Soon I hope. I'd check out Mammoth Lakes for 2-3 days. Rode there last summer and it was just killer. Hopefully it won't be too dusty as you're going early in the summer. You may even get to some snow in the higher regions. Call the local ranger station for a good free map, but be prepared to buy a good one at the local sporting goods store when you get there. Hundreds (literally) of miles of fast fireroads that have enough intrest to not get boring, great weather for riding in the summer, beautiful scenery, fishing and some killer single track. If you camp at dead man creek you can ride right out of camp. Ride up to June Lake loop and even up to mono lake if you want a 100 mile loop (stop at june lakes to gas up if you need to.) And PLEASE, make sure you have a GPS! From there I'd swing up to moab. I've heard that it's wonderful riding. From there I'd try colorado - maybe something in the Grand Junction area. I know there's killer stuff to ride in Co but I don't know where. Have fun!

drBill

Dec 2, 2001
PS - at Mammoth (probably only 4 hours north of you) the trails are very quad friendly for the most part. If you decide to take some of the single track, beware it is truly SINGLE track often just a rut in the side of a mountain. Not quad friendly, but like I said, there's hundreds of miles of trails. You can probably even find trails into town, but i didn't have time for that. Too busy checking out the area. Lots of big trees and stunningly scenic vistas.

If you dig that you could head up to Lake Tahoe too. I know there's some good riding there as well but I haven't researched it out. Just writing about this is making me want to go again. When are you heading out?? I've got a wife and 2 sons that ride too.

Bill

Jimbokdx

Oct 22, 2002
Bill,

That sounds AWESOME!! I'd really enjoy just what you are talking about! Maybe I could hit there first for a couple of days and then move to Colorado. I am planning on going around the first or second week in June. Why don't you get busy training the wife and kids and join us?!?!

Now... where to in Colorado, or anywhere else that may be fun?

Jimbo

drBill

Dec 2, 2001
June would be a good time to go. When we were there last Sept I have never seen dustier conditions. The pumice silt is out of control late in the summer - especially when it's been as dry as it has. My wife and kids would be OK with most of Mammoth. There's some things that her and the youngest wouldn't want to tackle. As for my oldest, I have to try to keep up with him! Presently, we don't have a good way to camp and take bikes at the same time. Last summer my oldest and I went with a friend who had a trailer. That worked out well. There may be condo's that we could stay at. When we go fishing there, we stay in condos. Really cheap in the summer off season. That would be a blast. I'll talk to my wife about it. I'm not sure when school is out for my kids. Cheers.

ScottYZ250

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
Jimbo, If NorCal interests you, there are several places you could camp and ride. If you went to the Foresthill area, you could ride their trail system, plus fish, plus your only 90 minutes from Tahoe (day trip). You could also do a day trip to Georgetown and ride there trail system (30-45 minutes). Mammoth Bar offers great trail and track riding, and that's only 15 minutes from Foresthill as well. If you wanted to show your kids a "National Track", Hangtown is less than an hour away too.

This area would have much to offer a SoCal family on a vacation. Foresthill is located 19 miles south of Auburn, which is on I-80 (east of Sacramento). It's worth researching anyways. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Jimbokdx

Oct 22, 2002
This is starting to sound really cool. I will be doing some research in the areas listed. Do you guys have phone numbers or websites for contacts?

As far as camping goes, my wife thinks roughing it is when she forgets her hair dryer at home! I am in the same situation as you, Bill. I plan on finding lodging somewhere as close as possible and riding during the day. I considered renting an RV, but those things cost more than a hotel and no one makes your bed!

Jimbo

Jimbokdx

Oct 22, 2002
By the way, Bill, where in SoCal are you? Send me an email at JIMnJILL@mchsi.com

Jimbo

ScottYZ250

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
There is lodging in the towns of Georgetown and Foresthill, both within ten minutes of their respective trail systems...

ScottYZ250

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
No problem Jimbo, I see tons of quads at Foresthill and Georgetown. Most anywhere other than a mx track, they'd be fine. Might not be able to go on the singletrack, but there is lots for quads too. ;)

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
You might consider Upper Lake & Stonyford in the Mendocino NF - just a few hours north of Sacramento, areas 5 & 6 on the Northern CA section of Offroad rider. Both have quad/kid friendly trails and enough tighter stuff to keep you happy. We were at Stonyford at the end of May '02 and got snowed on at the higher elevations ~5000ft. Mid June shouldn't be too bad for dust especially if you're there mid-week. Lodging would be the biggest hassle for either area.

Vinnny Bob

Mar 2, 2000
Hey I'm from Ridgecrest. In fact we will be in town to do some riding this weekend. I now live in Reno. There is some great riding up here. Dog Vally if you want trees Moonrocks for the desert. Send me an E-mail vmkc@sbcglobal.net Vince Keller

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Here is a "family oriented" thought: You could make your way to Ouray, Silverton, or Telluride in Colorado. Then take the bikes and quads up to do Black Bear pass or Imogene pass (or any number of other passes in the area). It's jeep trails the whole way so the riding is not terribly technical (kid friendly), it's definitely quad friendly, you cannot beat the breathtakingly awesome scenery (wooded until you get past the tree line and then just mountain peaks), and you're wife is happy staying in a hotel!

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Jimbo: you might want to hookup with TWMC; they are a family-orineted enduro-only club in SoCa. Many of their monthly events are out your way, within a stones-throw of Ridgecrest.

They go to Utah every summer, and from what I've read a lot the riding is quad friendly. The terrain is similar to Ouray, Silverton, or Telluride in Colorado, yet you would have the safety of a group who knows the area. And many of the members are DRNers.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Here is alink with info on most of California's riding areas.

http://www.employees.org/~calridng/allsites.html

I agree many of the places in Northern California are great for riding. But some N. Californians will head to Idaho for their dirt biking vacations.

If you pick up a copy of Cycle News, the Video Theater advertisement has videos with trail guides to Colorado and Idaho. I have seen the Colorado video and it offers an overview of the major trail systems - man it looks SWEET.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Jim,

Your welcome to join us at Kennedy meadows in Sequioa National Forest. A group of us go everyyear from DRN over the 4th of July. Some bring there families some go to ride every waking minute. The trial are fun if you haven't been up there. We usually go for 4-5 days. I think last year we have 15 or so people/ families from here. Pm me if you'd like more info.

Tim

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999

I'll go along with CJ on this one, although I've never ridden it because she never invites me ;) This area is also close enough to hit the Moab region as well in Utah. Although it may be getting pretty warm around June it is a really great area to ride. You could touch Moab then hop over to Telluride area.

:thumb:

Jimbokdx

Oct 22, 2002
You guys are awesome with all of the responses. I haven't been to Kennedy Meadows yet, but it is only about a half hour from here.

I am limited to the time I can go. June 9 is the last day of school and I only get my son for 10 days after that before he has to go visit his Mom for the summer. I'd prefer going with a group, but I am so unflexible on time it probably wont happen.

I will have to do some more research on the CO stuff. Sounds awesome... but so does the Mammoth lakes. I think deciding where to go won't be easy!

Jimbo

mikew_72

Jan 25, 2003
Why would you leave Ridgecrest to ride. There is at least 2 months worh of solid riding locally.

I guess I'm biased.

Mike

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…