Dirt Rider mag 24 hour test

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I haven't flamed a mag in a while, so here goes.

Okay, when they first started doing this 24 hour test it was kinda neat. They'd test a bunch of stock bikes, then a couple mod bikes. Now it's a bunch of modified machines that they've dropped oodles of money on, with not a stock machine in sight! For example:
  • Dicks Racing KTM520SX -- $4890 worth of mods
  • FMF CRF450R -- $1650 (not too bad)
  • EE KTM450EXC Lafferty Replica -- $3856
  • K-Style KTM 540EXC -- $6154
  • Premier Husaberg FC470 -- $4097
  • Pro Circuit CRF450R -- $3526
  • White Bros. YZ426F -- $4943
  • Yoshimura DRZ450 -- $4080
Now is it just me? A guy could buy a second bike for the price of some of these mods! Come on Dirt Rider, do something the normal dirt biking Joe can afford! And there's enough bikes out there to do a pretty good test of the stock machines. I'd like to see how a CRF450R out of the box would do in a 24 hour test against an XR250/400/650, YZ/WR250F/426F, DRZ250/400, KTM400/520, etc. Sure it's cool to see what you can do when you've got a bunch of money to throw at a bike, but show me the stockers as well!

And another thing, just because I subscribe doesn't mean I want to look at Ken Faught on the cover! Cripes, find someone else to take a picture of. What is this, MXA? You can only take pics of the editor?

I'd send a letter to the editor, but Dirt Rider doesn't seem to have that feature anymore . . . :debil:

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
Just watched the thing on Speed Channel last night about the 24hr test. Just by looking at the bikes, I could tell it was the typical "pay $6k for a new bike then spend another $6k modding it" kinda test. Get real....I know I could care less about that sort of thing. Of course, the magazines have a perfectly good cop-out for doing this sort of crap (we all know the real reason they do it is to get paid to go play around with trick machinery, then waste some paper telling us about it): They claim they do it because it gives the reader a chance to find out about all these different aftermarket parts in one fell swoop. Whatever.......

The original 24 hour XR350R test was probably the best one ever.....

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Look at it this way. They spend a gazillion dollars modding bikes they couldn't break stock. DRN has Billywho, if he can't break it, blow it up or knock it over within 24 minutes then it has the same indestructibilly-ity as a billet of titanium bolted to a granite slab.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by Strick
Who Won??
Good question. I have yet to figure it out. I guess there can't be "winners" any more or people might feel bad. (plus, if they talked bad about any of the bikes, they may not get the freebies next time around! Another reason to like DRN better than the mags!)

I would like to ride a bike with that Rev-Loc clutch though! Everything I've read about it intrigues me. :think

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Me too.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Originally posted by XRpredator
I haven't flamed a mag in a while, so here goes.

I'd send a letter to the editor, but Dirt Rider doesn't seem to have that feature anymore . . . :debil:

It doesn't matter...the wouldn't print it anyway. The don't print negative letters. They won't reply to you in person. When they did run letters, they would hold them for months and then print them at opportune times.

For example. Let's say that the last 4 issues have been a Yamaha love fest. So, you send in a letter stating that there are more bikes than just Yamahas, and how about they do a test of all European Off-road thumpers. They'll hold that letter for up to a year...then, when they do an issue featuring european off-road thumpers, they'll print that letter followed by two sentences from the editor alluding to the fact that they are providing the public with the exact coverage that they want.

Dirt Rider Sux in my opinion. It's photofest with captions. You read the whole thing in 10 minutes.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Another question: Why did they move the 24-hour event from the Peterson ranch to Glen Helen?

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I wondered that myself. I noticed that they aren't Emap anymore, they're Primedia, and that Ol' man Peterson isn't the "Chairman Emeritus" any more. :think

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
I guess that explains why they don't have access to the Peterson Ranch facility. I let my subscription lapse. I just couldn't take anymore. If they print anything that looks interesting...I just read it in the grocery store or at Barnes and Noble and then put it back on the shelf.

txvintage

Sponsoring Member
Apr 20, 2001
Originally posted by XRpredator
I would like to ride a bike with that Rev-Loc clutch though! Everything I've read about it intrigues me. :think

I recently got to ride a KTM 400 with the Rev-Loc. I only got the chance to play for a short period of time, but if I rode a ton of technical stuff all the time, I'd be first in line.

It's weird not needing the left hand for much, but you cannot stall the machine no matter how slow you go or what gear your in. Any woods rider or dez guy should put this at the top of their wish list.

Heck, add in the fact the KTM had electric start and I was looking for the cup holder and lumbar support.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Money to burn

I've had enough of the 12K bike tests as well. :mad: I'd like to see more "real world" stuff.

Mar 26, 2001
i got my issue today and i was truely disappointed. i flipped through it in 10 minutes and threw it in my room. i wish they would put something realistic in there. i just keep my subscription because its only $12 a year. plus the pictures are great eye candy ;)

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
I too am fed up with the "let's take a brand new bike and throw a wad of cash at it" tests. What really cracks me up is how whenever a manufacturer debuts a new bike it's like the second comming (perfect motor, suspension, ergos, trans, etc.) then three months later they test all the hop-up pieces that fix everything that was wrong with the bike since it's inception.

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
I too am fed up with the "let's take a brand new bike and throw a wad of cash at it" tests. What really cracks me up is how whenever a manufacturer debuts a new bike it's like the second comming (perfect motor, suspension, ergos, trans, etc.) then three months later they test all the hop-up pieces that fix everything that was wrong with the bike since it's inception. The Revloc clutch really intriuges me as well. Although I can't see spending $1000 on it.

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
My interest in their 24 hour test has definitely fallen off in recent years. They definitely test some very, very cool bikes; but they're highly unaffordable and impractical for me. I was looking through the parts lists at some of the add ons and actually wondering which ones I would even consider buying let alone need. The 24 hour test has basically become a big ad for some of their favorites to put on a show. I also question whether Dick Burleson has ever liked any bike, the man never has anything positive to say, its always 'Well the bike just didn't fit me or the bike was too heavy, yada yada.'

That said the Lafferty replica KTM 450 really seemed cool. :)

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Re: Money to burn

Originally posted by holeshot
I've had enough of the 12K bike tests as well. :mad: I'd like to see more "real world" stuff.

Those guys don't live in or know anything about the "real world."

I sent a letter to Ken Faught three years ago stating that Dirt Rider had lost all sense of objectivity. Every article was complete crap. All you end up with is an "Advertorial" when you take a bike and let the Pro-Circuit (or any other hop up shop's) catalog vomit all over the bike.

The mags stance is: "Well we test every item so the average joe can pick out which items will best work for them." That doesn't work. If i have a totally stock YZ250F, I can't tell from reading one of their article how one particular part will work on an otherwise totally stock bike.

Then, they also don't cover racing anymore. They buy a bunch of pics from Steve Broon and Frank Hoppen, add pictures and then call it race coverage. Now, I don't expect them to have up to date race coverage since they have such long lead times. That's what the 'net and Cycle news are for. But they don't give you the behind the scenes stories or expanded coverage. Racer X gives you some of that, but no one else does.

Remember when guys like Webb or Burleson would race test a bike...in stock form. What they would print would be a 4 page bike test followed by a 3 page race report from a National Enduro, HS, or GNCC from some "real" riding location like Texas or Ohio.

Now, the GNCC series is by far the most widely popular and most factory supported off road series in the country. GNCC races usually get a 1/2 page of coverage in DR with 4-5 pics and captions. Obviously, they don't actually get out to races that aren't in SoCal, but they don't even hire good free lancers anymore.

I'm off my soap box now. I feel better. Sorry for the rant.

TM-Frank

Dec 15, 2000
Up to now, everytime I read an american MX/Enduro magazine I was convinced the biggest mountain in the US has to be the heap of brandnew stock triple clamps and clutch baskets.
But it seems like in reality most of you guys ride the same ordinary bikes as we do. ;)

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Re: Re: Dirt Rider mag 24 hour test

Dirt Rider Sux in my opinion. It's photofest with captions. You read the whole thing in 10 minutes.
Which is exactly what I do at the supermarket.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
You guys are so right about Dirt Rider Magazine. I’ve been saying the same thing for years.

Except for Burleson, I seriously doubt that their test riders could even finish a typical eastern/mid-western enduro therefore; I don’t have much faith in what they say about bikes for enduro and off-road use. They may know what works in California but that would be about it.

txvintage

Sponsoring Member
Apr 20, 2001
Originally posted by TM-Frank
Up to now, everytime I read an american MX/Enduro magazine I was convinced the biggest mountain in the US has to be the heap of brandnew stock triple clamps and clutch baskets. But it seems like in reality most of you guys ride the same ordinary bikes as we do. ;)

What? You mean everyone doesn't run out and add thousands of dollars to their bike with each new issue? :think

For folks who want a real 24 hour test, the Perry Mountain Cycle Club is having a 24 hour race later this year. I can't wait to see the winners there. Hopefully Timr will get a chance to offer a report!

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
I too used to be into the 24hr test. I'd read that article from cover to cover. I thought that would be the coolest thing to hang with the big boys and ride a bunch of bikes. Petersen Ranch was IMO more of a real world test.

I has gone down hill, maybe they get bored testing stock bike year after year? :think Heck I'd like to ride the trickest bikes in the world too but have some stock ones there !!

The CAN'T have a winner because they can't tick off any of the companies that give them free parts and bikes to test. They want their toys next year!!!

Heck with em, we trade bikes at DW anyway. Thats the best test!

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
Ok, so which mag do you consider the best for us average Joes? It seems to me, and I may be way off, that they all do about the same articles, just change some of the wording. It's like one guy writes for all of them and they just change a few things to make it 'original'.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom