fatboyslim

Apr 11, 2006
I went into the store the other day to get a NGK BR9EG spark plug and the guy said that they discontinued that model. I tried three different shops all witht ehs ame answer. BR9EG is a standard plug in my bike right now and it runs great I just needed another one for jetting so the only other plug with the same electrode gap is a Iridium BR9EIX plug. Will this change anything with my bike?

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
B9EG, BR9ES, B9ES, are they all discountinued? If the gap is a little off, well, that's why they make those 99 cent gapping tools.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
I run a br8eg in my yz just because the br9eg is so hard to find. I have not had any issues with fouling or anything like that.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
There is a potential advantage for running the EGV series plugs rather than the newer style fine wire like the EIX or EVX.

It has been my personal experience over the years that running an EGV or similar gold based plug buys you a margin of safety when you are trying to tune to the ragged edge. The melting point of the gold center electrode (and good copper core plugs) is very close to the temps seen during severe detonation.

If the engine suddenly starts to knock hard enough the center electrode tends to burn out and shut the cylinder down before it does any real damage. It acts sort of like a fuseable link. It's something I learned running air-cooled turbocharged street/drag bikes. It saved a few motors over the years.

The platinum tip in the EVX and EIX plugs melts at a temp nearly 1300 degrees (F) higher than the gold or copper plugs so it will hang in and let the engine frag itself before it will stop firing. The upside is the EIX and EVX plugs will tend to last a really long time in part because of this melting point difference. They tend to erode at a much slower rate than the EGV or copper core plugs.

fatboyslim

Apr 11, 2006
But will there be a real advantage at all if i use that Platinum plug? And I haven't had any problems with the EG series plug, i just needed more plugs because i'm going to rejet my bike once the weather warms up.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Try buying them from an online source, like Rockymountainatv.com or sparkplugs.com

Seriously, they haven't been discontinued. It just seems that your local dealers must not carry them any more.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
fatboyslim said:
But will there be a real advantage at all if i use that Platinum plug? And I haven't had any problems with the EG series plug, i just needed more plugs because i'm going to rejet my bike once the weather warms up.

Unless you are incredibly serious about tuning, just buy a couple of BR9ES plugs to jet with, then put in an what ever fine wire plug is easy to get. EIX or EGV, there is no difference in performance.

Top Bottom