razorboy

Jul 12, 2005
Well, I cleaned up my reed valve and flipped the fiber-glass paddles over. This just about completely sealed the valve. I would suspect 99%. I bought a 185 main jet and pulled out the 188. I reset the air screw, set the float height and the jet needle all back to factory spec. After 4 kicks, it fired up! So I am way far ahead now. Thanx for all the help so far.

Big news now is that I have discovered that the cylinder base gasket is blown. I had noticed that there was some residual oil seepage but didn't inspect it too closely. Upon closer observation, I can clearly see about a .5" gap in the gasket and thats where the oil is seeping from. Guess that doesn't help with my compression OR my starting problems does it?

Finally, the sparkplug in the bike is a B8ES which is NGK's standard economy plug. The manual and NGK's site says BR9EG which is a "racing plug" or the iridium version. The second letter in BR9EG means "resistor type" and as you can see, there is no second letter in the plug that came in the bike. Does this mean it is completely the wrong plug? The heat range is also different. I will be plopping a iridium version in asap.

Cheers
Bernie

MadArrow

Sep 8, 2003
The leaky base gasket will probably cause an air leak which will make the bike run lean and possibly damage the engine. Does it idle ok? Usually an air leak will give an erratic idle or may not return to idle after blipping the throttle.

razorboy

Jul 12, 2005
The idle seems intermittent. Some times it idles up and then it just bogs and dies.
I am not going to run the bike again until the gaskets are all replaced. No point in possibly causing damage to the motor.

Cheers
Bernie

MadArrow

Sep 8, 2003
Sounds like you're on the right track. You might consider replacing the top end since you have to pull the cylinder anyways. As far as the plug I doubt it would have too much effect as far as starting, probably should put the right one in anyways, especially if you plan on running it hard. Good luck

Top Bottom