Distilled Water as Coolant OK?

mattmcphail

Nov 18, 2004
Is it ok to use distilled water in the radiator of my KDX 200 or do I need to use another type of coolant?

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Watch the weather, you don't want to freeze that thing. My.02, YZ165

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Mix engine coolant with distilled water at a 50:50 ratio. From what I understand, the moto coolants are environmental friendly if/when they spill onto the ground.

FWIW, I use Prestone automobile coolant.

2wheeler

Dec 9, 2004
I would not use only water. A 50/50 mix of antifreeze is the only way to go. Keeps it from freezing and in the summer keeps seals lubercated better and stops corrision. Just be sure your antifreeze is safe for aluminium.

shr

Uhhh...
Apr 8, 2002
A 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water will dissipate heat better than just plan water.

Dogz

Aug 30, 2003
Never run straight water, unless you have to for some event, then put water wetter in it. The main thing the antifreeze will protect from is galvanic corrosion inside the engine, With all the dissimilar metals inside an engine some bits will look fine and others will be turning into that funny white paste. Make sure the antifreeze you buy is made for aluminum. Most are today.
I run water in the ZX6 when I track it then change right back to 50:50 mix when I get home. Most tracks specify no antifreeze on track.

domino dave

Sep 24, 2003
Maxima Coolanol .... expensive,but in the long run worth it.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…