OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
I put an FMF silencer on my stock '96 WXC 360 pipe this spring and it seems to have knocked the already short top end right off of it. I'm curious though, whether rejetting would help regain top end? I know a mismatched silencer would detune the exhaust, but it may also affect jetting. The thing is, it doesn't miss, stutter, bog, or anything. It just gets done revving sooner than it had before. The reason I started thinking jetting might help is because I put a new 'off the shelf' carburetor on my '75 TM400 and it will no longer get on the pipe at all. Same deal, no problems other than loss of "hit". I had attributed that to possible wear in the bottom end maybe causing it 'wind out' too soon.
Anyhow, do you guys think improper jetting would keep an otherwise good running bike from reaching the power band?

Octane250F

Uhhh...
Oct 21, 2006
Oh yeah. If you are running lean its going to be kind weak on the topend because its starving for fuel.
Its kinda weird that it doesnt pop or anything like that. I used to have an '06 Yamaha YFZ 450 that I put a Yoshimura RS-7 exhaust on. The pipe arrived and I installed it, but didnt have bigger jets. Some of my buddies called and wanted to go riding and told me it would be fine with the stock jets. I gave it a shot but when I started the quad it popped so bad every time I went to hit the gas that I didnt even get it loaded in the truck. It was that lean. I put in a bigger main, bigger pilot and got an adjustable needle and it was good to go.

Top Bottom