Do I need to get a new chain?

acanz

Damn Yankees
Dec 7, 2004
I dont know if this pic helps but here it is - http://www.zippyimages.com/14988.html

My chain is rusty so Im wondering if it need replacement. The wheel still spins normally so Im guessing its just surface rust. Is that dangerous and could it potentially break while Im riding?

If I need to replace it, a 520 chain is the right size, right? Also, if its too long how do I remove a link?

Oh yea, and how would I remove some surface rust thats building up on the frame?

acanz

Damn Yankees
Dec 7, 2004
Yea thats what the white stuff is. I think its an o-ring chain, so would that need chainlube or not?

Feb 6, 2005
Yes get some chainlube but make sure its O'ring safe. If you get the wrong kind it will make the orings swell and chain will suck. It should say "oring safe" or whatever. but most likely you should get a new chain anyways. If the sprocket is worn down then you should get both sprockets and chain and make sure to keep it all maintained with the right chain lube. also when washing the bike dont pressure wash the chain cuz thats not good :) good luck to ya.

Hunter

acanz

Damn Yankees
Dec 7, 2004
bump...

Can anyone give me a more definate answer? I need one because I want to ride this week so I need to know if I need to replace it or not.

pace

Nov 21, 2003
That degree of rust would seem to indicate some neglect or old age. Either way, I'd replace it. Chains can cause quite a bit of damage if they let go.

You can remove links using a dremel tool to grind the pins if absolutely necessary. Just be careful, as it's not difficult for the heat to damage adjoining links and O-rings. I usually just order them with the correct number of links whenever possible.

480_R_CR

Feb 16, 2005
I would definitely recommend replacing it. Leaving an old rusty chain on a bike will definitely affect riding. Chain will not be able to move as well and will not be able to perform as well as a new one.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom