Tyler125

Feb 3, 2008
I need a new chain and sprokets. Im gonn grab a nice combo but Im not sure on the difference of everything. Ive read that certain number of teeth are better for woods riding and such, can someone explain that to me.

Also, whats the difference in O-ring and X-ring chains? Do gold chains offer any more durability or what?

I have a 93 Cr125 so Im not gonna buy the best on the market, but Id like some suggestions if thats cool.

tyler_43

Jun 22, 2007
smaller front sprocket or a bigger back sprocket are better for trails. Your motor will be revving higher for the same speed. However, you will lose top speed doing this. Dunno about X-ring chains, I haven't had them or know anybody who's used them but O-ring chains are great. If I keep my chain well oiled I can get easily 5 times the amount of riding on one O-ring chain than I can on a normal chain.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
X chain is a reduced drag O ring set up. On the X ring the O ring has a couple of grooves in it to reduce surface friction on the side plates. For non race woods riding the O ring will hold up better/longer than a X ring.

Smaller front sprocket is cheaper than adding teeth to the rear sprocket but increases the stress on your chain due to the smaller turn radius. Don't be cheap!

Last edited:

xkevenx

Dec 4, 2007
i ride at 14 front and 51 rear with an o-ring chain and i have no problems with speed and traction, however when i change this to 12-48 the engine seems te be a little bit more agressive due to a smaller front sprocket... you always need to teke a o-ring chain its a little bit more expencive but it lasts longer

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom