s.d.duner

Oct 28, 2003
when my voltage regulator shows up i'll be hooking up my UFO twins light.

Question is:
When I bought my bike (used) it didn't have a switch (or light) with it .
Will there be any problem having my lights on all the time? I don't mind as long as it doesn't hurt anything. I'm thinking about forgetting the switch and just hard-wiring the lights in.

thanks for any comments/ideas

trailryder

Oct 1, 2004
IMHO I think it's harder to start a bike when the lights are left on...Many places on the net will sell you the parts you need to get it right.I don't think the stock stator has enough power to light both those lights....

s.d.duner

Oct 28, 2003
i was told that it is a 70 watt output on a 1991 kdx 250 but i don't see any rating in my Kawasaki service manual.

the ufo twins light is 35 watts x2 so i thought it would be just right...i won't be running a tail light

Is anyone here running a similar setup or know the stator output?

Any input is appreciated

morbidsmurf

Oct 23, 2003
Bulbs break alot easier when they are on. so i wired a switch on both of my bikes so i can turn it off in the day time. I ride alot harder in the day time and was replacing bulbs every two weeks or so.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
morbidsmurf said:
Bulbs break alot easier when they are on. so i wired a switch on both of my bikes so i can turn it off in the day time. I ride alot harder in the day time and was replacing bulbs every two weeks or so.

I have ditched the switch and wired the lights on all the time on 3 KDXs. It's never been a problem and I have never broken a light or had to replace a bulb due to it burning out.

I don't know if this is true or not, but Fredette told me exactly the opposite of what is posted above. He said that the bulb filaments are less likely to break when the bulb is on than when they aren't.

This isn't the reason I got rid of the switch though. I just didn't have the real estate on the bars for it, so it had to go. BTW, my kdx's start 1st or 2nd kick every time. In fact, I've never heard anything about hard starting due to the lights until this thread. Oh well.

trailryder

Oct 1, 2004
both kdx that I've owned started easier with the lights turned off.I'm talking about a bike that was turned off w/ light still on taken out of garage a few days later and then trying to start it.

razrbakcrzy

Aug 12, 2004
I Have a 92" kdx 200 with a street legal kit from baja designs. The max output from your stator will be about 70 watts ("that is when you rocking it down a long straight") but if you are lugging it in the tight twisties, you will be lucky to get 40 to 50 watts out of it. Those wattage listing are not always true. I suggest you call someone over at ricky stator and talk with them before you go any further.

Jim

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom