georgieboy

Jan 2, 2001
Morning/Afternoon everyone.
I have this primary gear noise. Probably because of too much back lash. I can measure offcourse the freeplay between the gears but mine manual says notting on this part.
What are your opinions about this item. I heard it is not common to replace primary gears but they do get beaten in their live time.
thnks in adv for any replies

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
If you can’t see damage on the gears then they should be just fine. More likely the bearings the shafts run on are grumbly & need replacement. The clutch (assuming you are talking about an engine that has a clutch, could be your lawn mower from the info) is also a prime suspect.

georgieboy

Jan 2, 2001
David, remarkable you guessed right, it is mine lawn mower:)
But understanding your replie, there is no info about primary gears others than missing teeth etc. The mainbearings you can measure so that is not the issue here. I know that manufactures of cars do have info in their manuals about gears. I once read that a freeplay(back lash) of more than 0.05mm is beyond specs.
I can live with the noise(it's a huskie, well known for their noise) but was just wondering if the manufacturer was sloppy with the specs in the first place.
I am not really thinking of replacing them, due the money, but was just curieus what somebody else knows about it.

Top Bottom