Do your forks feel like this?

dougjc

Mar 23, 2003
2003 220. I had Fredette install gold valves and springs. I think what I'm going to describe is similar to how they used to feel, but not sure. Anyway, when I compress the forks, there is a noticeabe notchy or clicky feel right after I start the compression. Once past it, the rest of the compression feels smooth. Is this normal? I really took notice after being at a honda dealer and feeling the forks on a new 4 stroke 250, very smooth right from the start. I realize it has better forks, but seems like something could be adjusted on mine.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
I just had my suspension done by Jeff including Gold valves in the forks, however, I'm running Eibach 43kg XR400 springs at 5mm of preload. I don't have any glitches. It's nice and smooth even with the new seals.
I would check your preload spacers to make sure you have the usual 5 to 10mm of preload, not having less than zero preload and having some slop in there. I've also heard that rotating your springs a little in the fork tubes can effect clicking sounds.

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
It sounds as if something is not quite straight. If the springs are sort of bent, or at a slight angle - you will get that notchy feeling you describe.

Also make sure your oil is exactly the same in both legs.
sn

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Loosen the bolts on the lower triple clamp, then upper triple clamp (bike on stand of course). Hold the front wheel between your knees and twist the bars back and forth. Center everything up and tighten the upper clamps first, then the lower. Sounds like fork bind. If not that, then take the front wheel off and see if the problem is just with one fork or both. Probably only with one fork. Remove the cap and pump the fork to bleed any air that might be in there.
P.S. I'm not saying Jeff forgot, but make sure you have fork oil and that it is at the right level. It's been known to happen that it gets left out.

xtremekdx

Feb 21, 2004
what you may be hearing is the "slop" in the floating front brake rotor being "taken up" before the forks compress.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…