Does anyone have information on Buffalo Range

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
in Illinois? Have you ridden there? Do they have website? What are the fee's and how do you get there.

I am looking for a place to take my kids.

cycleboy

Sep 8, 1999
Buffalo range

Here's a web site http://www.geocities.com/buffalorange2001/ . We are going tomorrow weather permitting. It's $20.00 a day. They have some of everything a baffalo. It's easy to find. Take Rt. 6 west out of Ottawa to Buffalo Rock rd.(about 5 miles) turn south and go to the end of the road. Look in front of you and you'll see the sign. Turn west and go about a half mile to the sign up building.

Last edited:

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
Thanks

My sons are 9 and 12 and they have never ridden before. Just bought a brand new XR70 and XR100 for them so they are chomping at the bit to go riding.

What can you tell me about it? Good all around trails? What should I look out for or look for when going there?

Thanks again.

cycleboy

Sep 8, 1999
They have a small and large mx track. Some of the woods trails can be really tough on beginners. There is a large silica sand pit right in the middle. There is a large open field in between the silica pit and mx tracks. I think they have 400 acres total. Most of it is old strip mine.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
We are going to try Fox Valley this weekend if the weather holds out. I just started the kids and kept hearing from everyone to try Buffalo Range also, so I wondered what the hoopla was about.

From what everyone has told me, Fox Valley would be more new rider/kid friendly so we are going there first.

Any other good places to ride within a 4 hour drive of Chicago. How is Casey? I know it is a drive but it sounds like it would be worth it. Any others? I was told to stay away from Badlands for safety issues. At least while the kids are new anyway.

I want to keep their interest up by trying different places.

KXKen

Jan 6, 2001
I've been to all 3 places. My kid rode a bike for the first time at Buffalo Range about 4 years ago. I think it's a great place for a new rider because there's field that's flat and open (start in the middle and you won't run into anything). If your going to ride any (with a beginner) trails find a good easy safe route first. Some of those trails out there can get very nasty in a hurry.

Fox Valley would probably be good for a beginner to. The trails there are nice and fairly predictable.

Casey (IMO) is the best place in IL. I've only been there once but it became a favorite very quickly. Great MX track and good for a wide variety of riding styles.

Just my 2 cents

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
Theres a place called Bong recreation area in Wisconson, 17 miles west of Kenosha, at the intersection of 75 @ 142. Its Begginer friendly with 7 miles of flat trails. Phone # 414-878-5600 or 414-652-0377

sspmxc400

Aug 30, 2001
You are on the right track. Try all 3.

Lincoln Trails(LTM) does have a web site (don't remember name - but a search should get you there). LTM is pretty much considered to be the best overall facility in IL. Something to check first might be the fee - I don't believe they have a daily fee - (but verify online or with a call) - but an annual one which is very reasonable (I believe $50.00 for the year for a single - family???). LTM is also nice because it is generally not crowded (except race days).

Buffalo Range - no ATV's - which makes it safer by default. Larger area.

Fox Valley - Good place to learn - can start on a simple oval track - go to a little bigger moto track - then migrate to trails from easy to hard as you want. No surpises except for the other riders. Besides - it is run by a good guy!

Another consideration might be the park in Byron(south of Rockford). They also have a web site (moto byron or something like that).

Nikki has posted a full laundry list of places to ride in IL in other posts if you do a search.

kawdude

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2003

Does anyone have a new web address for this place????

jaction125

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2003
WWW.BUFFALORANGE.NET

Never mind that clickety click thingy no worky.
If you're interested in going I'm gonna try to go this weekend, I've been riding there for years. :aj:

Last edited:

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I've been to all 3. I liked Casey, but its far.
Buffalo has some sweet trails that can be a bit much for beginners, and a very nice kids (beginner track). Fox Valley is my favorite for the kids by far. 2 Tracks (and they are mild enough for kids), open stuff, trails, and it can be ridden by beginners PLUS...a good guy runs it.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I concur. Fox Valley and Lincoln Trails are great places for beggining riders.

Since you bought Honda's, take the time to read every word in the booklet they provided with the bikes. It is to teach parents how to deal with brand new riders and has some of the best info you can have.
It is for the kids, but parents should heed every word of advise in it.

So often a dad gets overly excited about his kid riding and trys to give them too much to handle in the first couple of outings. This can ruin a kid fast.
Only a crash or two. without proper guidance, and a kid may not want to be a part of what they see as a painful ordeal.
Take your time, and teach the kids proper safety first thing. Plant all the rules, nurture them, and you will have great times ahead.

Hurry things and get overly excited without proper preparation and be sourly dissapointed.

I personally would never take a new rider to ANY track or offroad facility. Granpa's field is well made for those first few rides.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…