Does anyone here install grease nipples anywhere on their bike?

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
just wondering where, because grease nipples help grease parts way better. i was thinking to install one on the swingarm linkage but i wouldnt know where on the linkage.

thanks.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Nah, modern bikes are so easy to tear-down and reassemble, I just pull everything apart and grease it. I can verify the conditions of bearings and seals while doing this as well as clean out any debris. It also makes less of a mess because you don't have old grease oozing out of all of the seals. My bike does have a grease nipple installed in the head set. You could pretty much pump an entire grease cartridge in there before any got to the bearings. Then, when you disassemble, you have to clean out an entire grease cartridge worth of grease (wastes a lot of paper towels).

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Swing arm and shock linkage bearings as well as the upper shock linkage bearing should all be done fairly regularly. Depending on how much you ride and the type of riding you do, I'd say anywhere from once a month to twice a year. Greasing the swingarm pivot bolt every time you remove it wil prevent it from seizing up and makes future removal easier. The steering stem bearings should be done occasionally. I would clean, inspect, and adjust the steering stem bearings once a year. The lower bearing really takes a beating. Wheel bearings are sealed and don't generally require maintenance other than inspecting them for roughness or play. If they show signs of either, they should be replaced ASAP before the hub gets destroyed. I do pack the space between the wheel spacers and the bearings with waterproof grease fairly regularly to keep the seals/spacers lubed and as a barrier to prevent dirt and water from actually getting to the wheel bearing. During this time, I also coat the axle with a light film of grease which makes it easier to remove in the future. I generally inspect the rear wheel bearings every 2-4 times I ride. I do the front every couple of months. The pins in the brake calipers should be greased every time the pads are removed. The brake pedal pivot needs periodic lubrication. I think that's it.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I use grease nipples on my kickstarter, linkage and rear brake pedal. I'm definitely a fan of them, though I still do a tear-down once a season to inspect everything.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
On the headset...you can cut a piece of PVC to go around the stem to take up most of the void between the bearing cages.

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
I lubricate the sealed wheel bearings on my Yamaha whenever a wheel is removed. If you are very careful, the rubberized retainer on the bearing can be 'picked' out and the exposed bearing surfaces can be inspected, cleaned and lubricated. The retainer slips right back in and squishes the lube deeper. After this process, the wheels spin much more free and the bearing life is increased significantly. Takes more time and is not a whole lot of fun, but I have not had to replace a bearing thus far.

Good luck.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom