Does idle screw affect performance?

CR-For-Ever

Feb 25, 2002
Hey all,

I'v been working on my bikes carb..and I'm curious, How does the idle screw affect performance?

I relize that if you turn it you can decrease/increase idle of the bike but how should it be set? And if I have the bike idling fast will that have anything to do with the bikes performance?

Just curious, thx.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
The idle screw opens up the carb witout changing the mixture.
You need to have your Air Screw set close to what your manual states as a baseline. You may need to tweek in the idle screw to maybe keep the bike from just stalling.
Good throttle response in that condition would mean you are close.

CR-For-Ever

Feb 25, 2002
Ok...

So what you're saying is set my air screw say at 2 turns out then see how the bike idles? And the bike should idle like it's always about to die?( Stall)

Cause I'm a bit confused
Thx.

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Originally posted by CR-For-Ever
How does the idle screw affect performance?
It won't.
As Jay stated, set your air screw to a factory setting, then adjust the idle screw for the desired idle RPM. Once you have the desired idle speed, adjust your air screw for 0 to 1/4 throttle response, more than three turns out...get yourself a leaner pilot jet.
The idle screw is nothing more than a stop for the slide.
Good luck,

CR-For-Ever

Feb 25, 2002
Ok that sounds great!
Just one more thing what should my idle be set at? on a 125 I'v herd it should be really slow do I want it to be set really slow like about to die or medium or a fast idle?

thx.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I always hear that you are supposed to set the idle screw on a two storke where it doesn't idle for more than a second or two.

But then again, I am always seeing the racers crash, collect themselves, pick the bike up, and it is still running? Seems like they must have them set to idle?

I'm confused.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
CR, you can set your idle to last until you want it too, totally up to you. Yes, racers set theres like that because they don't really care about idling. If you have proper jetting, you can idle your bike no problem. Yes, idling for a long period of time may load up the 2 stroke. If you're a normal rider like most of us are, let your bike idle, it'll help if you trail ride along with MXing. Having an idle may decrease your compression braking but you probably won't notice the difference. Good luck

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom