chiro972

Dec 12, 2002
Hey all,

I'm going to pull the top end and put in a wiseco piston. I have looked at all the pics in the tech section and looked over the service manual. The descriptions of the KIPS doesn't look clear to me yet. Is this easy to screw up? I know about the reverse threads, but I'm concerned about getting it all back right with the gears all synch'ed up right.

Will this be obvious once I take it apart? I have done air cooled, pre-exhaust valve bikes before, but never a modern bike.

chiro972

Dec 12, 2002
Anyone??.....Buehler?.....Buehler?

C'mon, someone out there has done a top end and can pat me on the head and say it'll be OK!

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
...well for starters a kdx is far from a modern dirt bike....anyways, regardings the power valve connection aside from the reverse threads, there is a "punch" mark which you line up, but its pretty much self explanatory....I have never taken apart my kips, I just use oven cleaner....which works pretty good....just pull the head, and spray with easy off, let it set for 10min, and wash it out with warm soapy water, repeat a few times...good luck with it....

03KDXHOPPER

Nov 23, 2004
Remembering that left hand thread on the advancer shaft is good. Don't forget to support the advancer shaft while you torque 'er down. It's made of carbonate and busts easily. There will be a punch mark, and/or colored tooth to line up the gears in the right place. If you have trouble lining up the gears, you will have to take the valves out and make sure they're in the right position, again with the punch mark and/or colored teeth.
Hope you have a service manual...they help quite a bit. I prefer to take the valves out and clean them by hand. Never tried the easy-off trick. Good luck!

chiro972

Dec 12, 2002
Thanks guys. I do have the service manual. I already ordered the piston. I hope I don't get in there and find it needs to be bored and replated or I'll have to get a different piston. I'm being optomistic and predicting that it is still within spec.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom