Done with Dirt Bike

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
I know these threads have gone on and on about MXA, and to some extent, Dirt Rider magazine. We dropped our sub to DR a couple years ago. After all, you can only take so many issues stuffed full of clothing mini-catalogs, and inane articles on who's hot.

Somehow, I thought Dirt Bike was different. Cooler. They had the Wolfman back. They actually covered more than just MX and SX. Plus, no annoying pull-out catalogs. Well, with the July 2002 issue, it is apparent that DB is following the DR bandwagon, and I'll probably let this subscription lapse as well. The entire magazine had nothing but 4-stroke reviews/hop-ups and "what's new" on the MX bikes. How many times, and how many ways, can you hop up the WR400 and the CRF450?? (And who has $2500-$3000 to spend on hop ups after they just bought a $5K-6K bike?)
Plus, I thought their "pipe review" for the CRF450 did a real disservice by not mentioning the sound dB output of the aftermarket pipes. Granted, they will claim that the pipes are for MX or "closed course" only, but you can't tell me that sound levels are not important on an MX track. All they could do was print an ambiguous table listing the "relative" sound level, compared to stock. Huh.
And then, they do a ride review on the TTR125L, DRZ125L four strokes, with the caption, "Racer or wife's bike". :think:
Gee, I thought that the TTR125's and such were beginner bikes (with hop-up potential), for all beginners, not just wives and girlfriends. It is obvious that as a female off-road rider from the East Coast with a 2-stroke KTM that there is very little of interest to me in Dirt Bike magazine these days. Not that I expect a magazine dedicated to female KTM riders from the East Coast, but a little variety now and then would be nice!

And would somebody PLEASE tell them that "edicate" is NOT a word? The word is "etiquette", for crying out loud. (Found in the front of the magazine, regarding rear-wheel storage)
Never mind, I'll do it myself and send them a letter. :|

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Magazines about dirt bikes?
What are these strange things you speak of?

YZ Joust

Master of Jackassery
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 21, 2002
MXA, Dirt Bike, Dirt Rider, MX Racer all canceled...... Only receive RacerX and Transworld Motocross now....

MX Racer changed the size of the mag and now it gets shredded before delivery to my house..... Gotta love it.....

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Anyone like Rev! ?

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
DB was very thin this month, but to be fair this is the time of year (waiting for the new bikes) when nothing much other than rumours are happening. i read the whole issue in about 2 hours (whilst watching tv!).

i did find the ttr thing very patronising though!

i keep meaning to subscribe to cycle news since i think that is the way to go. i also read TWMX in the store and it seems pretty good so i might give it a try.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Jaybird asked:
Anyone like Rev! ?
Is it still being published? I saw the first issue, and that was it. It has potential.

I may let my subs lapse. The major positive about Dirt Bike right now is they send it in a clear plastic wrapper! I wish all the mags would do that. No more torn covers!

Oh yeah, and I thought the TTR125/DRZ125/KLX125 were chick bikes? :p

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Originally posted by WoodsRider
Magazines about dirt bikes?
What are these strange things you speak of?

I'm not sure, but I think they are talking about furniture shims........

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Originally posted by XRpredator

Oh yeah, and I thought the TTR125/DRZ125/KLX125 were chick bikes? :p

No, no 'Pred, you got it all wrong-- the KTM200 is a chick bike! Haven't you been watching the threads??!! ;)

I'm sure TWMX and RacerX and all those others might be good mags, too, but they cover exclusively MX and SX. I like to keep up on who's riding and such, but I prefer to read enduro and HS coverage. I swear DB doesn't know anything exists east of the Mississippi River. :silly:

I guess I'll just have to double my subscription to Trail Rider.

Einstein

May 27, 2002
I prefer my district paper, cycle usa, because they cover the stuff that I race at, geeze I can get my picture in there too :) . MXA, DB, DR have their own once in a while issues worth reading. The "cool new issue of MXA came today" enthuasism usually wears off when I open to the contents page :ugg: . The only good article of Dirt Rider-July- is "17 ways to beat the heat"

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I must beg to differ on the RacerX. They cover purtnear everything. I've seen articles covering GNCCs, flat track, road racing, trials, you name it. SX/MX does get the lion's share, but it's all in there. More of a lifestyle mag, though, and lots of purty pitchers.;)

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
I haven’t subscribed to a magazine in years; I may pick one off the rack on occasions, like Racer X or cycle news, (won’t touch any HI-Torque Publication) I can get all the info I want right here, faster and more reliable.

Outside of DRN I just read my District News Letter

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Farmer John

But they cause injuries. ;)

Chicks or KTM200s? :confused:

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich

Chicks or KTM200s? :confused:

In your case Rich - I'm going out on a limb here - I'd say chicks :p I'm pretty sure you'd have no trouble figuring out a KTM200.....

Brian

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Well the KTM DOES have a manual :)

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Chicks don't cause injuries unless said injuries are deserved. Besides, we don't need manuals--we're very easy to figure out! Just shower us with gifts, keep our KTMs in tip-top shape with all the latest bolt ons and fresh plastic/graphics and speak of nothing but our overwhelming beauty, stellar riding prowess and natural genius. Oh, and taking over all the household chores can't hurt anything either.

See how easy that is? ;)

It's MEN who are difficult to figure out!

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I like RacerX and TransworldMX. I also buy Dirt Bike when they have off-road riding tips in it. I wish there was a magazine dedicated to off-road racing and riding, that would show good hop-ups for XRs, DRZs, TT-Rs, etc. And with the hopups, keep it reasonable, the prices that DB spends on hopups is outrageous.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by SpeedyManiac
I wish there was a magazine dedicated to off-road racing and riding, that would show good hop-ups for XRs, DRZs, TT-Rs, etc.

Unfortunately, demographics show that the people who ride these bikes don't spend as much money as their mx counterparts since:
a. Image means nothing in the woods, so the gear companies won't advertise
b. most don't race, so don't break as many parts, so aftermarket companies won't advertise
c. they won't be buying a new bike every year, so manufacturers won't advertise

You can argue that these 3 points are untrue, and they might not ALL apply to EVERY trail rider, but when you look at the group as a whole, it's pretty accurate. Especially compared to mx. Look at a campground near a trailhead on a weekend, or even the staging area at an enduro, and compare it to motocross; most machines are 5 years old or more; most have scratches, dings and cracks; the riders are wearing gear that might be as old as their bike, or older. At a mx track, most of what you see is shiny new bikes with shiny new riders in shiny new gear--which translates to money. Those who ride XRs, etc. now and want to go fast will eventually either a.) spend too much money trying to turn an elephant into a thoroughbred or b.) buy a CR/RM/YZ/KX/etc. Most choose b.

Once again, before you all attack me, remember I am pointing out generalizations. But they're generalizations that the entire industry makes judgements by.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
FC22- Given the general catalog like nature of the bigger mags it would be hard to disagree with your assesment. It's pretty clear that enough people in power feel that way. :|

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
trail rider is more dedicated to enduro and hair scrambles then any
other mag ive subscribed to but it is a thin mag with a high
subscription price for no more then you get

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
Heres something, why do you guys dislike these magazines so much? They have dirt bikes in them after all. Do you subscribe to non dirtbike related mags? I agree with you that some of these mags arent always truthful, and are really just a bunch of opinions, but they have pictures of dirtbikes! :aj:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by dave186
agree with you that some of these mags arent always truthful, and are really just a bunch of opinions, but they have pictures of dirtbikes! :aj:

If all we were looking for was pictures we could avoid the middleman and pull up a chair in the garage and gaze lovingly at our own bikes.

We don't need comicbooks for dirtriders, but that appears to be all we are getting. :|

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Plus, I thought their "pipe review" for the CRF450 did a real disservice by not mentioning the sound dB output of the aftermarket pipes. Granted, they will claim that the pipes are for MX or "closed course" only,
So why do most of them come with a spark arrestor on the side? I thought the exact same thing as you did Lori.

Its all playing into the greenies hands. First they get the EPA to ban the polluting 2-strokes and then their gonna get all the riding areas closed down because of all the noisy 4-strokes...

As for the Mags? I get em all. Transworld, RacerX, DB, DR, MXR, MXA. I like them for what they are. "Entertainment". They make the time in the bathroom just that much more enjoyable.... I like to laugh at what some of these schumcks write.....

Top Bottom