Done with Dirt Bike

Battered Sav

~SPONSOR~
Nov 16, 2000
pull up a chair in the garage and gaze lovingly at our own bikes.
Add a beer and I like the idea. :)
Australasian Dirt Bike rules, MX,SX,offroad,enduros,mini's,hop ups, got it all.
Only reason I read Dirt Rider is free copies.

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
Between My Wife. Kids, Home, fishing with my son, and Bike, I have no time to read mags. (and I love to read, especially when I eat breakfast, even a cereal carton would do in a pinch) I used to, mostly on hunting and fishing, but I liked to switch around.

I've found that more specific and localized publications had the best and most useful info, but even they got me bored after a year or so. It's the same thing over and over again.

DRN is my replacement I suppose. Real words from folks who are often in the same boat with real life experience. I can't help but compare most mags to the sub-lines on 'Just Shoot Me' They are designed to catch people. The front cover says it all. I've spent more time on this board and learned more than I ever did from all the mags combined. That's just my present situation, and it's not too bad to be honest.

Lori, you had me scared there for a minute, I thought you and Dave were selling your bikes. :)

Chief

Dirtvet

Jan 23, 2000
Dave186, we are disapointed in these American magazines because either

A) They used to be better, or
B) Seen better magazines in other countries

Dirt Bike is my favorite, but they just have gone down hill with their expensive bolt on upgrade approach. A few years ago they did stuff like MX conversions to enduro bikes on a budget, then compared the YZ to the CR, etc. This is real world. What they are doing now is not.

There is a much better magazine for pictures called Moto Verde. It's published in Spain, and I got it in Venezuela. Best high gloss pictures, with a pull out poster every month. It was 1/4 the cost of the American magazines. Thei tests were awsome too, with torque and horsepower charts, good shootouts, etc. Great coverage of Euro bikes, and SURPRISE, the Yamahas rarely came out on top like they ALWAYS do in MXA shootouts.

Just my 2 cents.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by firecracker22
1. Just shower us with gifts
2. keep our KTMs in tip-top shape with all the latest bolt ons and fresh plastic/graphics
3. speak of nothing but our overwhelming beauty
4. stellar riding prowess
5. natural genius
6. Oh, and taking over all the household chores can't hurt anything either.
That's a long list. I might have to tatoo that on my hand so I can remember that. :ugg:
It's MEN who are difficult to figure out!
1. Men eat meat(beef, chicken, fish, pork, epesially BEEF), potatoes, and cold beverages
2. Women
3. Riding/racing
Short, simple, accurate. :D I know am married but I'm not blind or dead, yet. ;)
PS, I gave up mags some time ago. Lori, you made a very articulate objection, not quite the normal rant that we read in the Flame Board.

Last edited:

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Chicks don't cause injuries unless said injuries are deserved. Besides, we don't need manuals--we're very easy to figure out! Just shower us with gifts, keep our KTMs in tip-top shape with all the latest bolt ons and fresh plastic/graphics and speak of nothing but our overwhelming beauty, stellar riding prowess and natural genius. Oh, and taking over all the household chores can't hurt anything either.
Whoa, sensory overload.

It's MEN who are difficult to figure out!
Show up naked, bring beer!

:)

As for magazines... I've let all my subscriptions lapse since joining DRN except for National Geographic, Time and that AMA magazine which is automatic with membership.

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
1. Just shower us with gifts
2. keep our KTMs in tip-top shape with all the latest bolt ons and fresh plastic/graphics
3. speak of nothing but our overwhelming beauty
4. stellar riding prowess
5. natural genius
6. Oh, and taking over all the household chores can't hurt anything either

I got 5 out of 6 so I guess I'm doin' ok

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Originally posted by Chief

Lori, you had me scared there for a minute, I thought you and Dave were selling your bikes. :)

Hence the subtitle "The Magazine" under the post! ;) When we first bought our ATV, we brought it down to the club grounds for a work day. Told everyone we had sold our bikes for 4-wheelers. Funny thing was, a couple people believed us! :eek:

I guess I just don't relate to what Dirt Bike is selling anymore. I get much more enjoyment out of my DRN fix. (And I don't have to wait 30 days for a new fix! ;) )

I like your list of things to keep women happy, FC! But you see, our list has different items on it. If you were to ask a guy the same thing, they would reply:

1. Sex
2. Sex
3. Sex
4. Sex
5. Some beer
6. More sex

See? Our lists don't match. That is why men and women will never understand each other! :confused:

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich

If all we were looking for was pictures we could avoid the middleman and pull up a chair in the garage and gaze lovingly at our own bikes.

But I get tired of looking at my own bike! Other peoples bikes are much prettier.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
LoriKTM started out with the following:
. . . If you were to ask a guy the same thing, they would reply:
I gotta edit your list just a little, Lori ;)
1. Sex after I get home from riding my dirt bike
2. Sex after I get home from work
3. Sex after dinner (of steak and taters, of course)
4. Sex when I wake up in the morning
5. Some beer of course!
6. More sex just for the heck of it!

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Chicks don't cause injuries

You haven't seen my wallet :eek:

Besides, we don't need manuals

That's because it's more complicated then the Tax code :scream: Who would have time to read it, let alone remember all the loop holes. Just cut the bull and tell us what you want/need :confused:

Lori, You need to add #7, No indepth analysis of life, relationship, or money during our favorite show :) .

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
Aftermarket companies that make products for Yamaha's must loooooooove DIRT BIKE lately. The last 3 issues I've got have had some kind of hop up article on either the WR426F or WR250F. Whats it gonna be next month?

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by BigBore
Aftermarket companies that make products for Yamaha's must loooooooove DIRT BIKE lately. The last 3 issues I've got have had some kind of hop up article on either the WR426F or WR250F. Whats it gonna be next month?

Of course you could think of it this way. Any bike that needs so many modifications might not be a very good bike to purchase. :p

That could backfire on Yamaha.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Originally posted by BigBore
Aftermarket companies that make products for Yamaha's must loooooooove DIRT BIKE lately. The last 3 issues I've got have had some kind of hop up article on either the WR426F or WR250F.

YES! That's what I'm talking about! How many different ways can you hop up a WR426/WR250, and write an article about it? Sheesh. Just for fun, Dave and I will go through and add up the cost of all the hop up parts that they list. Comes out to $2500 to $3000 every single time.

When was the last time anyone wrote an article on hop-ups for a KDX, or a KTM for that matter? (2-stroke). What about the venerable XR400, which they all went ga-ga over when it first came out? The silence is deafening. You would think these bikes didn't even exist anymore, judging by the coverage (or lack thereof) that they get. As far as I know, people are still buying aftermarket parts for these bikes, too. :think:

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I think they make a CRF, but I hear it handles like a garbage sow ;)

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
The KTM200 a "chick bike?" Well I'm sure spankin' a lot of open class bikes on the beginner/novice line through the bomb run. :cool:

But my wife does like it better than the YZ. :think:

Top Bottom