Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
Hardee’s serves up 1,420-calorie burger
Fast-food giant skips diet craze, concocts fat-filled sandwich

Hardee's
The "Monster Thickburger" — two 1/3-pound slabs of Angus beef, four strips of bacon, three slices of cheese and mayonnaise on a buttered sesame seed bun — sells alone for $5.49, $7.09 with fries and a soda.
MSNBC staff and news service reports
Updated: 10:09 a.m. ET Nov. 17, 2004As many fast-food chains introduce healthier fare amid fears of being sued, Hardee’s is bucking the trend, serving up a megaburger with 1,420 calories and 107 grams of fat.

St. Louis-based Hardee’s Food Systems Inc. Monday rolled out its Monster Thickburger — two one-third-pound slabs of Angus beef, four strips of bacon, three slices of cheese and mayonnaise on a buttered sesame seed bun. The sandwich alone sells for $5.49 or $7.09 with a medium fries (520 calories) and soda (about 400 calories).

McDonald’s Corp., Wendy’s International Inc. and other fast-food giants have broadened their offerings of salad and other lower-calorie fare amid concerns the industry could be held legally liable for America’s obesity epidemic. Hardee's offers no such concessions, although the chain is not completely oblivious to dietary trends, offering at least three "low-carb" items including a low-carb Thickburger.

In an interview on CNBC, Hardee's chief executive Andrew Puzder was unapologetic, saying the company's latest sandwich is "not a burger for tree-huggers."

"This is a burger for young hungry guys who want a really big, delicious, juicy, decadent burger," he said. "I hope our competitors keep promoting those healthy products, and we will keep promoting our big, juicy delicious burgers."

Health-safety activist Michael Jacobson denounced the new Hardee's concoction.

"They would argue they are just giving people what they want. I would say this is beyond the pale," said Jacobson, executive director of the Center for Science in the Public Interest. "Probably no nutritionist ever imagined that a product like this would be marketed."

Jacobson pointed out that one Monster Thickburger contains twice the recommended daily allowance of saturated fat, and nearly a full day's worth of sodium. Even before the new Monster Thickburger, the chain offered five sandwiches with 1,000 calories or more, and eight overall that have more calories than what was once the big-burger standard — McDonald’s 600-calorie Big Mac.

"If Hardee's persists in marketing this junk, it should at least list calories right up on the menu board," Jacobson said.

While fast-food diets have been blamed for an epidemic of obesity and heart disease, last year a federal judge in New York dismissed two class-action suits blaming McDonald’s for making people fat.

“Maybe this is a smart strategy because there are still folks out there who care about the taste and size of their sandwich, and less about their weight,” said Jerry McVety, president of the restaurant consulting firm McVety & Associates in Farmington Hills, Mich.

MSNBC.com's

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Woo hoo....they were talking about that masterpiece on the radio this morning :cool: No Hardee's in our immediate area, but rest assured I WILL be making a roadtrip this weekend :)
Going to try to eat 2 of 'em!! Without the bacon tho, I dont do pork.

dante

Mar 24, 2004
In california we have Carl's JR which is the same as Hardee's, they even share the same font's for the logo's lettering... Here they call it the 6 dollar burger... they are darn good too I might add... with the criss cut fries... dang i might have to stop by their on my way home

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Senior KX Rider said:
Click HERE for a picture :aj:
OMG!
But, as we all know, they never look like the picture. Instead, you end up with some mayo-ketsup sloppy, wet bum mess in a wrapper.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Great...I'm about due for another stroke :)

OldassKDX

Nov 9, 2000
Over in Moscow, (Idaho, pred's stomping grounds) they have a two pound burger plus fries and a shake that if you eat in an hour or less you get your name on a plaque on the wall and a free long sleeve shirt. You up to a challenge, XRP?....I've already got one in 46 minutes, if they list a guy at 6'8", I'll know its you. :)

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Does the biggie size come with a pack of smokes and a fifth of Jack?

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Has anyone seen the commercial on TV advertising this ??

one cute chick, tight blue jeans, riding a mechanical bull and eating one of those burgers. Did I mention the back ground music is Foghat's "slow ride". :eek:

Mully

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Mully said:

one cute chick, tight blue jeans, riding a mechanical bull and eating one of those burgers. Did I mention the back ground music is Foghat's "slow ride". :eek:

Mully

Quick!! Someone call the FCC!!! :bang:

That commercial ROCKS! errrr, I mean, Foghat rocks! :ohmy:

3SuperSports

Jan 13, 2004
This IS still a free country. Hardees is giving us a choice and doesn't really intend on us to rely on their menu for our daily meals. I hate how there is always someone trying to pass the blame for poor choices.
Anybody ever do a story on restaurants that serve steamed lobster? Scoff at the cholesterol levels and then say; "then they have the nerve to serve it with a vat of melted butter! This kind of thing has to stop!" :ugg:

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
That's so sick! I personally wouldn't eat it, but that's just because I haven't been able to eat hamburgers in the past few months, they make me feel ill every time I eat one.

I don't think I could eat half that, even if I wanted to! It's huge!

Good for Hardee's for creating something like that. It's great to see all the fast-food chains serving up healthy stuff these days, but that's not the point of fast food. If you want to eat healthy don't go to a fast food restaurant and let them serve their grease.

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Senior KX Rider said:
St. Louis-based Hardee’s Food Systems Inc. Monday rolled out its Monster Thickburger — two one-third-pound slabs of Angus beef, four strips of bacon, three slices of cheese and mayonnaise on a buttered sesame seed bun. The sandwich alone sells for $5.49 or $7.09 with a medium fries (520 calories) and soda (about 400 calories).
Is it any wonder St. Louis is ranked 8th on the top 20 fattest cities in the US list? :think: They need to make the Walmarts bigger (sq footage) here so all the damn hogs can fit in them. :debil:

That is so disgusting. But hey, I guess they are doing their part to thin out the herd, the human herd. :p

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Mully said:

Mully

I don't watch enough TV...who's got the link to this little gem?

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
OldassKDX said:
Over in Moscow, (Idaho, pred's stomping grounds) they have a two pound burger plus fries and a shake that if you eat in an hour or less you get your name on a plaque on the wall and a free long sleeve shirt. You up to a challenge, XRP?....I've already got one in 46 minutes, if they list a guy at 6'8", I'll know its you. :)
must be at Rudy's. Or maybe at Daylight Donuts. Or it could be whatever the place in the mall is that used to be Eric's Cafe. Hell, I dunno. They put that tiny little apetizer that Hardee's is serving up to shame, though!

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
OldassKDX said:
Over in Moscow, (Idaho, pred's stomping grounds) they have a two pound burger plus fries and a shake that if you eat in an hour or less you get your name on a plaque on the wall and a free long sleeve shirt.
Pfft, what they should give you is 20% off the angioplasty or the triple bipass (which ever comes first) you're eventually going to need. :p

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I'm wondering what the "label" on Speedy's chicken enchiladas, or perhaps her "cheesy poof" recipe is like? :nener: I know that one time, those enchiladas had to weigh four pounds each, and were loaded with all kinds of good stuff! :worship:

Top Bottom