Ed White

Apr 6, 2003
The owner's manual with my new 450EXC specifies DOT 5.1 brake fluid. All I see at the auto parts places is 3,4 or 5. The counter guys don't know anything about 5.1. Do I have to get this from KTM and pay the big price, or will something else work?

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by fatty_k
I use the Motul 5.1 fluid for my clutch.

That may be ok for a GasGas but it shouldn't be used in a KTM clutch. The rubber seals are not compatible with brake fluid from what I hear.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Brake fluids should not be used in any juice clutch as they are all caustic.
In the brakes, use cheap DOT 4 and be happy. Change half way through season.

TM-Frank

Dec 15, 2000
Jaybird,
Brake fluids should not be used in the Magura M/Cs that are OEM on KTMs and Husabergs, but Brembo, AJP and Grimeca make clutch M/Cs for brake fluid and from Magura you can get these too (see http://download.magura.de/offroad.pdf )
You could even buy just the brake fluid restistant piston and retrofit it to your KTM clutch.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
But, regular fluids that are less caustic will also work in those type of clutches. I see no good reason to use brake fluid. ANd you know how much I like ATF :)

TM-Frank

Dec 15, 2000
Me too! I buy it in 25 Liter drums. :)
But brake fluid is thinner (lower viscosity) and may result in lighter clutch pull.
And we all have it in the garage anyway.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
I likewise run Motul in bikes and my race car, but DO NOT mix various fliuds. Do a complete flush prior to changing. The synthetics having a much higher boiling point and wind up with less fade(if a fliud boils air gets into the system and thereby you get fading.).

Bfaster

Aug 26, 2002
Ed,
If you plan on riding the bike to the limit, Motul 5.1. The 4 stuff will boil and fade halfway through a race. I change brake fluid every other race and it is impressive to compare the old vs. new. If you think about $7 bottle of brake fluid the $20 for oil changes, and the $20 for the race gas, probably doesnt compare to what you spend to travel, eat, etc. for your riding time. Some people operate in a false economy. I prefer to buy sandwich meat and bread and save the "Happy Meal" money for the stuff that really matters. There is my $.02 worth.

See you on the trail.

Top Bottom