XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Suzuki is changing their AX plan (from RacerX):

Racer X has learned that some very big changes are in store for Suzuki's vaunted U.S. National Arenacross Series Program.  The manufacturer is apparently parting ways with five-time series #1 Buddy Antunez, as well as his teammate Evan Laughridge and team manager Billy Whitley.  Suzuki is now handing its program over to the new Empire Racing team, and the featured riders will be John Dowd and Jim Neese.  The change was confirmed by Dowd's current sponsor, Jeff Cernic of Cernic's Racing KTM.  Look for an official announcement and more information from Empire Racing later this month.

Last edited:

jake949

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2000
sounds like they gave Buddy the the Tim Ferry treatment, thanks for winning a title but your fired. maybe buddy will go to Shogun and whip up on his old team.

I saw Neese race in Tacoma and Ryan Huffman schooled him all weekend, and Ryan is the king of giving up. I don't see him replacing Buddy.

Last edited:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
So teams should keep riders until they pass-away or what? Who knows how the deal came down. No where did it say they fired him anyway.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
I haven't been interested much in AX, but Dowd might do it for me now. That, and the fact that you can actually watch one on TV every once in a while.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Heck Neph,  I was real into AX untill Bradshaw got hurt. He was lookin like the old Damon,  then bam, he broke his femur :(

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
No, teams shouldn't hang on to riders forever...but Buddy was still riding well, wasn't he. And Dowd, well I am a huge dowd fan, but he is 5-7 yrs older than buddy and unproven in arena cross. Doesn't look like sound judgement to me.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Don't get your panties in too tight of a bunch guys. There is more in the works than it seems. I've been reading on some other places that things are not as cut throat as it may appear.

I could be wrong but I'm gonna wait for the rest of the story to come out.

Ivan

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I'll wait to see what else comes out on this story. I can almost see Antunez as his career appears to be going backwards at this point in time but Laughridge seems to have a huge upside as an up and coming rider.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
is 5-7 yrs older than buddy and unproven in arena cross.

I'd go as far as to say he'll probably dominate AX. Let's face it folks, the AX talent pool pales by comparison....look at Demuth in SX and the nationals. I'm not sure he qualified for half the races, did he? Dowd is so damn talented, persistent and hard-working. Anyone who can come out to Southwick and place 2nd is pretty damn talented.

He mentioned in this month's RacerX that when he was 30, he started saying every year will be his last. Then along came 36,37,38....now he just admits he's going to ride until he's no longer competitive or dies... ;)

He'll whip some ass.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Dowd has raced a few regional SX's. Doug Henry and him did a Friday night event 2 years ago and according the reports they had a blast. Doug won one class and Dowd won the other.

I think he'll do well.

Ivan

Top Bottom