mdavis203

Jun 8, 2007
Guys,

I just picked up an '84 DR250 from the classifieds. At least I think it's an 84. The sticker on it says mfd: 10/84. Are they like cars, where the next model year starts being manufactured toward the end of the previous year? Anyway... I need to do some repairs to it, like go through the carburetor, etc. But, I can't seem to find a repair manual anywhere online. I know car engines relatively well, but I'm clueless about dirt bikes. Like the oil... It doesn't have a dipstick, so how full do I need to get it? I see a choke lever, but I can't even tell which way is choked without taking the carb off. I'm not even sure of what the procedure is to crank the thing... Is it like most small engines? Choke, give gas, kick until it hits, then unchoke? Also, the kick level (I'm sure there's another name for it) is kinda hard to kick. Is this indicative of a problem? Lots of questions. True noob. Any help appreciated!

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
Is it a 2stroke or 4? Im think your pulling the plug for the tranny. Every bike has its own specs. Maybe one of these smarter guys can tell you the amount and type. As for starting it I would choke and be light on any gas. Make sure you have good clean gas oil mixture. If it is hard could be realy high compression or it may be a few differnt things

mdavis203

Jun 8, 2007
It's a 4-stroke. And, I found the plug. Oil fill question answered! Thanks! Still got lots of questions. Maybe after I pull and clean the carb, it'll start falling together.

mdavis203

Jun 8, 2007
Now that's interesting... I pulled the air filter box cover off this morning, and the filter pad was literally soaked with oil. Is that normal?? Clearly this is different than the lawn mower engines I'm used to tinkering with.

mdavis203

Jun 8, 2007
SUCCESS!!!!! I pulled the carb off and broke it open expecting a mess. However, when I got inside, everything was pristine. After scratching my head for a few minutes, I looked and noticed how the tubing stubs were arranged. To my surprise, the previous owner had hooked the feed up into what I guess is the overflow! I put the carb back on, switched the tubing around, changed the oil for good measure, and it cranked up like a champ! I rode it for a while around the yard, trying to get the feel for the gears and whatnot, and I had a BLAST!

I still have a few questions, though. I'm still curious about the oil on the filter pad. Also, I was curious about adding oil. I know I take the plug out of the side and add oil until it comes out, but do I add it until it comes out while it's leaning on the kickstand, or do I hold it upright and add the oil?

Next project: brakes :yikes:

May 9, 2007
The foam filters on dirt bikes have to be oiled with filter oil to effectively trap dirt. That's why you found a clean carb when you took it apart, because the filter was being properly oiled by the previous owner.

May 9, 2007
Yes indeed, you can over-oil the filter. The bike will run like crap because it can't breathe. After you clean the filter and re-oil it, squeeze (don't twist or wring) the excess oil out.

mdavis203

Jun 8, 2007
What's the procedure for cleaning the oil filter? Rinse in gas, re-oil, squeeze out, re-install? Dang, I wish I could find a Chilton's manual for this bike.

May 9, 2007
I clean my filters with kerosene. You shouldn't use gas, it's too harsh.

The solvent is only for removing the oil, you still have to clean the filter. After you remove the oil with kerosene, wash the filter in soapy water, and rinse. Repeat until it's clean. Let it dry, and oil it.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Gas is a little dangerous, too. Kerosene is good. I usually use Dawn dish soap and water so I don't have to deal with a load of dirty kerosene/diesel when I'm done. When we say the filter has to be oiled, it's not engine oil. There are specialized tacky oils for air filters available at your motorcycle shop. Just follow the instructions on the can, but generally you soak the filter and then wring it out to get the proper amount of oil. Doing the soaking and working of oil into the filter in a plastic bag helps keep the mess down and allows for a more efficient use of the oil.

mdavis203

Jun 8, 2007
Nice, thanks for the tip. I was about to put 10-40 on it.

Where's a good place to get parts for an older bike like mine? I'm having all kinds of trouble finding parts online. I need a throttle handle (what's the name for it?). When I was trying to crank it a few minutes ago, the plastic that goes from the handle to the assembly that pulls the cables snapped. Dry-rotted from disuse, I guess.

Also... stupid question... These things don't have a neutral gear? It seems like that would make the carb a b***h to tune... having to hold the clutch in the whole time.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Neutral is a half click between first and second gear. You'll find it while riding when you don't want to!!
Your bike is probably an 85 model, you can tell from the VIN that should be near the manufactured date. Not familiar with this model, but MOST bikes have a small bolt with an o-ring or a view hole on the outside of the right engine cover about an inch or so up from bottom. If you find one that seems to serve no other purpose except just being there, it is probably to help you make sure you have the right amount of oil in your bike. You fill it with the bike level until the oil starts coming out of the hole or until you can see the oil level behind the glass.
There are manuals out there for this bike. You need to find one.

mdavis203

Jun 8, 2007
I've searched the internet high and low for a manual. I DEFINITELY need one. Are there some good internet sites for parts for this bike? Most of the 85 model (the mfd date is 10/84) suzuki's I find are RM250's.

Last edited:

ghunter

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 24, 2001
Online Microfiche for DR250

I found this site the other day when looking for parts for a friends '79 Honda Z50. The link below should take you to a page for an '85 DR250.

I ordered parts from this site but have not received them yet so I cannot comment on their service. But, at least you get to access their parts microfiche.

Good luck!

http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_secti...y=Motorcycles&make=Suzuki&year=1985&fveh=2026

Edit - the following site lists a shop manual for your bike:

http://www.books4cars.com/search.asp?findmake=Suzuki&finddesc=Service&offset=100

mdavis203

Jun 8, 2007
Thanks for the huge help!! I ordered the shop manual. It was kinda expensive, but I guess that's the law of supply and demand. I gladly paid it. And the parts link was great help, too. If anyone else has more links for parts for this bike, please post them!

You guys have been a huge help!

Top Bottom