cweingartz

Jun 6, 2000
So I am an idiot and I over tightend my drain plug while changing my oil and now the hole is stripped. I can think of a lot of ways to "fix" it but my question is what is the proper way to remedy the situation. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Christopher

Houndog

~SPONSOR~
Oct 11, 2002
I like the Heli coil myself but another alternative would be to go the next size up in drain plugs, SAE or Metric... it's your choice now :)

With either solution you will need a drill and a tap, and what about the filings?

kdxquebec

Mar 16, 2002
hello. this happen to me last year.I bought a 7/16-20 tap and a 25/64 drill. This works well for my kdx 200 1989 to 1994.I dont know yours. beware of rip do not enter into the case. This is verry easy to do .I am not a machinist .After buy a 7/16-20 bolt. good luck phil..

MUDMAX

Jan 7, 2003
Same things on my first kdx 200 90, fixed with a higher size plug. Needed to drill and tap, very easy as kdx quebec says.....

.....never too late to learn !

cweingartz

Jun 6, 2000
Yeah I think that is what I will do. I have used heli coils in other things and was not impressed. I also know that the local auto parts store should have a 7/16-20 drain plug because that is what my truck takes.

Kwackers

Sep 15, 2000
Be careful if you go down the helicoil route - the KDX has a drain hole that enters the main drain from the side and it drains the bottom of the case below the clutch. A helicoil will block this second drain so you will be left with some dirty oil in the cases at each change. Take a good look you will see what I mean.
Personally I went down the drill and tap route - just be very careful that you get the drill and tap perpendicular to the machined face where the plug sits otherwise it will not seal properly. Good luck.

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
i too would just drill it out and re-tap it. make sure and use tapping fluid and GO SLOW...may need to put an o-ring on the new bolt to make sure you have a good seal

Top Bottom