Factor

Feb 27, 2007
I just bought a 2001 yz125 and it had been sitting for about a year with half a tank of gas in it. Starts up in 1-2 kicks but just to be safe I want to drain it and refill with a 32:1 or 40:1 synth mix before I take it out this friday.

My question, what is he proper way to drain the gas out of the tank, carb and bowl? I'm lacking the manual as of right now and wont have one in time until after this weekend.

Thanks.

uts

Jan 8, 2004
To get all of the old fuel out, take the tank from the bike and pour it out through the filler neck. It's hard to get all of the fuel out throught the fuel tap.
Drain the bowl by removing the main jet cover.

Factor

Feb 27, 2007
uts said:
To get all of the old fuel out, take the tank from the bike and pour it out through the filler neck. It's hard to get all of the fuel out throught the fuel tap.
Drain the bowl by removing the main jet cover.

So Basically detach the tank from the bike? Tip it upside down and drain it that way? The main jet cover is where, and how do I access the carb? Sorry for being such a noob :whoa:

uts

Jan 8, 2004
Factor said:
So Basically detach the tank from the bike? Tip it upside down and drain it that way? The main jet cover is where, and how do I access the carb? Sorry for being such a noob :whoa:

Yes! The tank should come of quite easily. You will probably have to remove the seat too. I'm talking 5 minutes for both. Then tip out the fuel.

The main jet cover is on the bottom of the float bowl of the carby. It just screw right out (using the appropriate sized spanner. The fuel will spill onto the engine so stuff an old rag under there first to soak up the fuel. Then put her back together and you are away.

f you are not keen to remove the seat and tank, you can drain most of the fuel from the tank by disconnecting the hose from the carb and draining it into a container, through the tap. It's hard to get it all out though.

Good luck

Top Bottom