wannayz

Aug 27, 2002
I need to drill out riviets on stock exhaust endcap to mount a ProMoto endcap with spark arrestor. As I haven't a rivet gun I plan to tap for screws.

1) How do I drill out old rivets? I don't want to damage anything.
2) Are screws or rivets better? I imagine rivets can't unscrew from vibration but screws seem so much less hassle later on. If I use screws, should I apply locktite, and which color locktite?

Thanks in advance to any helpers.

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
Looking at the rivet you should see a hole down the centre. Get a drill bit which has a slightly larger diameter then the hole, maybe 0.5mm larger. Gently drill down that hole with the drill. Usually the top of the rivet will break off as you drill in so the rest of the rivet will just push inside. Simple as that. I always use self-tapping screws on their own, no Loctite, and none have unscrewed yet...
If you don't get the rivets in tight with your rivet gun they will eventually break up and fall out so screws can be better in that case.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
To drill the rivet out you will need a drill that is the same size as the hole that the rivet goes into. It is usually about 1/8”. Since you are going to use screws to put it back together, make sure that the drill is the right size for the tap you’re using. I use M4 thread forming screws that we have at work and the 1/8” hole is a good enough size to thread into.

Are screws or rivets better? I imagine rivets can't unscrew from vibration but screws seem so much less hassle later on.
You’re right. I use screws so I don’t have to drill the rivets out when ever I repack the silencer. When you put the end cap back on, use some red (high temp) silicone to seal it up. The silicone will act as a thread lock and keep the screws in place. I haven’t lost a screw yet (although I may have a few screws loose ;))

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
I use sheet metal screws to hole my cap on. The reason I use sheet metal screw is because they have very wide 'threads'. They hold good but to make sure they dont come out I rap electrical tape around it twice.

wannayz

Aug 27, 2002
Thanks. When I drill the head off and the rivet falls inside the exhaust, does it get lost inside the exhaust? Is that a problem?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom